Who Designed My Eichler Style Home? Plus some cool retro art

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: Java, I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols

Beverlee
Modern Groupie

Who Designed My Eichler Style Home? Plus some cool retro art

Postby Beverlee » Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:17 am

Any info on who designed my house would be great! I have pictures on my website. Also, we are modern metal artist, so looking for fun retro art for your modern home you can check out the gallery!
Thanks, Beverlee
http://stevecambronne.com/Cambronnes_Home.htm
Desperately looking for info on my home designer! Check out the photos of my house and then check out our retro metal sculptures we create!
We offer very cool abstract and functional designs for the modern lifestyle.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:41 am

Baraboo, Wisconsin? My mom is from Baraboo, home of the Ringling Bros. & Barnum Baily Circus!

Beverlee, your particular house design was typical contemporary design for the mid-late '50s all over the country. While it does have that AQJ feel to it, it probably is not. Other AQJ tract homes in the midwest used much more glass.

That's not to say you have a wonderful house. I would like to know more about it. The 1950s were a special time for mail order plans by spectacular architects. A. Quincy Jones, in particular, contributed greatly!

Keep us posted when you find out more. I'll look through my archive as well. You'll find great interest here, at Lotta Living. Many of us are interested in mid-century modern homes!

Welcome to the board!

PlanetGlass
Modern Master

Postby PlanetGlass » Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:41 am

Thanks for posting pics of your house - it is truly fab! I especially like the marble (?) facade around the fireplace. Way cool.

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

I can see from the pics

Postby modfan » Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:26 am

Some folks think A Quincy Jones....it lot awfully similar to some of the Eichler Homes. How does it hold up energy/heatwise in the winter-what kind of HVAC does it have?
Cool House!!!!

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Who designed my house?

Postby moderns-r-us » Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:52 pm

Great House!

While I will agree that your house bares a resemblance to the work of A. Quincy Jones......

The previous owners reference to a Missouri architect and the reference to the plans being from a magazine make me think of the work of St. Louis architect, Harris Armstrong. Armstrong did many "show plans" for different magazines in the era your house was built. Eichler and A.Q.J. owners might be familiar with the work that Armstrong did at the USG Research Village in the Chicago area. Armstrong was teamed with Kansas City Builder Donald Drummond, while A.Q.J. worked with Eichler on the early steel house project.

For more on the USG Research Village see this link:

http://www.eichlernetwork.com/ENStry15.html

I would not say that your house shows the signature hand of Armstrong, but his style did vary over time!

It might be worth a shot while researching your house.

Keep us posted!

Remiss63
Modern Groupie

re: harris armstrong

Postby Remiss63 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:19 pm

in response to the previous post, i wanted to make a note about my research into the life and work of harris armstrong, faia.

i'm writing a monograph / biography about armstrong. information related to my research is available on my websites (below).

anyone with information / thoughts / ideas / memories . . ? i'd be very interested to know how you came to know about armstrong and what you think of his work.

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:27 am

Andrew:

Kansas City Builder, Don Drummond is still alive. You should contact him about his experiences with Armstrong. I sent you a private message with my contact info. For more about Don Drummond see this article.

http://www.eichlernetwork.com/ENStry25.html

I also have a few obscure articles about Armstrong houses that I have copied out of magazines.

Have you traveled to Chicago area to see the Research Village House? I have thought of going to see it sometime.

I really enjoyed your restoration of the House by Armstrong.

mru

ksjoyner
Modern Socialite

Cool House

Postby ksjoyner » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:42 am

Love your house, but also want to tell you that the art is fantastic!! I love modern art and I have saved your site and hope to purchase soon!!! :D

morbank
Modern Master

Postby morbank » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:04 am

My post may be inappropriate to some, but the ONLY other time this poster ever contributed to Lotta Living's forum was to advertise her and her husband's art business. I don't think she cares as much about her house or being a member to this site as she does selling her "art."

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:18 am

you are absolutely right, morbank. They blasted all the forum boards with messages promoting their art and never returned.

Fortunately, this thread was renewed for reasons that have nothing to do with the owners. Nice call.

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:29 am

I had the same thought about the original poster after the owner never returned.

Joe:

Any thoughts on Harris Armstrong?

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”