updating flooring........

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

alexesmom
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

updating flooring........

Postby alexesmom » Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:10 pm

We have just bought a beautiful "lost in time" 1950 MCM home. The single we want to get rid of is the gross mismatched carpeting. We are considering installing wood floors in living, dinnind and hallways, would this be consistent with the original style? :-k

mtwall
Modern Master

Postby mtwall » Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:21 pm

What's under the carpet? What was there can often be a clue to possible appropriate surfaces. Do you have any pics of the interior?

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:37 pm

be careful if you're on a slab and have radiant heat. If so, I would not suggest hardwood flooring.

Flooring suggestions for that period would include VTC. The Imperial Texture line from Armstrong match many vintage colors and patterns from the 1950s http://www.armstrong.com/commflooringna ... tem_id=381

Cork tile and polished concrete are other options.

sumu
Modern Master

do you cook?

Postby sumu » Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:48 pm

I cringe when I hear someone say polished concrete, esp in a kitchen...looks great, but it's pretty hard on your knees and legs. You'd need rugs or some sort of cushioned mat at your work stations if you do more than pop a frozen dinner in the micro. My house is on a slab w/ linoleum in the kitchen and it's still hard and cold, and I like to cook (and I hate those little area rug things). I have to wear very cushy slippers, and my legs still get tired...I'm considering a floating floor of some type. My 40 year old parquet wood floor is a style which you can't get off the shelf anymore. But no radiant heat.

KevInBoots
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby KevInBoots » Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:15 pm

I just did floating cork in one of my bedrooms, and got enough to do the other small bedroom. I think it's a fairly easy DIY project.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Re: do you cook?

Postby Joe » Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:19 pm

If you have radiant heat in the floor, don't float your flooring. It will create an air barrier and make your system much less effecient.

KevInBoots
Modern Socialite

Postby KevInBoots » Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:35 pm

Aside from the radiant heat issue, I would also think hard about doing a floating floor (wood or cork) in a large room. The tiny air-space can cause a subtle, dull, almost hollow sound when you walk on it with shoes. It's not really noticable in the smallish bedroom I've done, but I suspect I'd be annoyed with it in my much larger living room.

I was in a good flooring place (in Pasadena?) about a year ago that had a bunch of sample wood floors, and I clomped around on them and could tell the diffenence between the nailed down vs. the floating. It's subtle, and many people wouldn't notice or wouldn't mind, but if you're fussy about such things, you might see if you can find such a flooring place (even if it's wood and not cork) to see the difference. It's a less noticable difference with cork compared to wood, but it's still there.

Kevin

tikiyaki
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby tikiyaki » Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:54 am

I was told by a few flooring people that if you have a concrete slab then you have to go with the engineered hardwood, that is specifically made with the right underflooring. Doing the raw hardwood over concrete causes moisture problems.
I'm in the same boat right now...trying to find the right flooring, because it ALL needs to be replaced in the house I'm buying. One option that looks really cool is the carpet tiles from InterfaceFlor. Easy to install, easy to clean, with lots of cool colors/styles.

It has a very cool MCM look, and if you spill a drink or your dog pees on it, you pull up the dirty tile(s), wash it out in the sink, and then put it back when it dries. It has little adhesive dots in each corner of the tile, so you just stick it to the ground, and it's done.
Design Within Reach carries it,or you can go to the website
http://www.interfaceflor.com/service/flor/index.html

It comes out to about $6 per sq foot ($8 for a 20"x20" tile) for the cheapest stuff, which, incidentaly, I think is the coolest...it's called "housepet"
http://www.interfaceflor.com/service/flor/shop.html

I think I may go with that for the bedrooms.

There are also Terrazzo tiles by fritztile http://www.fritztile.com/
but the instalation on that seems like it needs to be done by a pro.
I may just go with the Armstrong Terrazzo-like vinyl tiles too.

JAB

Postby JAB » Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:18 pm

tikiyaki, a few alternatives for you to consider:

For carpet tiles @ less that $3 a sq. ft.:

http://www.tesseraecarpet.com/tesserae/ ... enDocument

For terrazzo looking laminate that you can install yourself:

http://www.mairmg.com/wilsonart/homeown ... abel01.cfm

Wilsonart also has a bamboo laminate.

alexesmom
Modern Fan

I'm back..were moved in!!!.......

Postby alexesmom » Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:33 pm

synthetic space
Modern Master

Re: I'm back..were moved in!!!.......

Postby synthetic space » Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:30 am

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Re: do you cook? and do you need mats?

Postby moderns-r-us » Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:46 am

JAB

Postby JAB » Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:42 pm

moderns-r-us, do you know the cost per sq. ft.?

synthetic space
Modern Master

Postby synthetic space » Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:53 pm

I noticed that they carry the Chilewich mats at Unica Home. Here is the web link:

http://www.unicahome.com/catalog/index.asp?cid=1937

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:12 pm

wow! those mats are nifty! Not too bad price wise. Great for indoor environments as well.

Thanks modern-is-you!

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

chilewich

Postby moderns-r-us » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:36 pm

You may also want to purchase a set of matching place mats

http://www.unicahome.com/catalog/item.asp?id=11971

or if you prefer "plynyl tiles."

http://www.chilewich.com/plynyl/specs/spectiles.html

I have not seen this in person yet but they also have "plynyl shag."

http://www.chilewich.com/plynyl/specs/specshag.html

and "plynyl wall to wall"

http://www.chilewich.com/plynyl/specs/specw2w.html

morbank
Modern Master

Postby morbank » Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:43 pm

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

chilewich mats vs. baby puke

Postby moderns-r-us » Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:51 pm

[quote="morbank"
Chilewich rugs and kids don't mix well either....very hard to clean baby puke out from the weave. [quote]

My friend who is ordering the chilewich mat for his concrete floors is expecting a baby. Do you have hands on experience with baby puke in the chilewich weave or are you only speculating?

I am not being sarcastic. I really want to know.

I have to think baby puke in chilewich weave is easier than dealing with the same in berber carpet ( my own past nightmare with infant reflux).

I would bet the ability to take it out and hose it down would bode well for the baby puke problem.

morbank
Modern Master

Postby morbank » Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:26 pm

Considering that the chilewich product is a plastic/vinyl product, it IS easier to clean than carpeting or sisal weave rugs....or should I say "less hard." Kids and nice looking houses just don't go together well! If it's not baby puke, then it's hardened playdough, or marker pens, or baby food. And if you have a dog like mine that scoots its butt across the floor, then you're sh*t outta luck (no pun intended). Not to mention my other dog, who one day decided to have diarrhea and left a trail all over the house as it frantically ran from carpeted room to carpeted room, that no kidding, looked straight out of the family circus cartoon. That was a bad day for me....worse for the carpet cleaners...

No, I have to say that as far as clean up goes with a rug, the chilewich isn't bad. But nothing is easier than a hardwood floor....not at least in my own experience.

SkipHome
Modern Master

Postby SkipHome » Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:14 pm

[The concrete is terribly high maintenance, possibly not as high maintenance as the VCT tiles, though. We had those in the office of our old house; not good for a family with 3 pets and two young kids. Not very hard on my knees.....yet.

i don't get it. why is VCT high maintenance and why isn't it a good surface for a household with pets? my perception is it's just like floor tile and you have to clean it when it's dirty.

morbank
Modern Master

Postby morbank » Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:34 pm

The type of vct we bought (these 12 x 12 greenish classroom looking tiles) required a wax finish on it to keep up the shine and durability. Well, I'm lazy and didn't want to remove all the furniture from the office every couple of months, so I didn't wax it, and the tiles always looked dull. Also, the dogs ran around and their claws put scratches in the tiles. I suppose if I had waxed it as I was supposed to the wax would have protected the tiles from the dogs' claws. In department stores with this same type of tile, I think they bring in those big vehicular buffers and ride up and down the aisles. I think this commercial type of buffing is what helps to make the VCT tile and exceptionally durable flooring product. Maybe someone has a different experience. I sure think that tile looks great, especially when it is buffed and shiny.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:37 pm

maybe the kids should go out in the kennel with the pets. That way you can hose them all down and not worry about it.

:wink:

morbank
Modern Master

Postby morbank » Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:43 pm

I thought of that but they might make the pets stinky.

minx
Modern Master

Postby minx » Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:51 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:14 pm

minx
Modern Master

Postby minx » Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:29 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:49 am

morbank
Modern Master

Postby morbank » Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:36 pm

freeda
Modern Socialite

Postby freeda » Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:45 am

I'm struggling with flooring decisions for our house too. Concrete slab, radiant heat. Right now the bedrooms have wood over the concrete, and the rest is this fugly carpet. Except the laundry room is painted concrete, the kitchen is modern peel and stick linoleum tile, and the bathroom is modern ceramic tile.

All these hard and cold surfaces are a little tough on my knees, although I love love love my 1954 flat roof house. It's just so hard to decide what to do, especially on a limited budget and over 2k square feet to deal with.

I pulled up the carpet to see if I could get some clues, but it's all bare concrete under the padding except in the back room and the kitchen there's the remnants of more linoleum tile... you know the stuff, with the gold sparkles on it. Yech.

So far I've chosen african slate tile for the kitchen, and another kind - I don't know the name of it, it's really textured and mottled beige and brown - for the heavy traffic areas. In our house the dining room is the central room everything else is off of.. it's kind of weird. We also want to put the electric wire kind of heated floor in under the tile, as the existing radiant heat isn't keeping up with our bitter Michigan winters.

I'm not very concerned with 'restoring' the house, per se. I just want my choices to not fight with the style of the home. We have big dogs too, so that's a concern with upkeep, so I'm avoiding the wood floors for now, especially the fakey pergo floors. No offense if ya like 'em, but my mom put them in her house and they look ridiculous.

Anyhoo, I was very glad to find this forum... I have very few resources here, it seems. Nice to meet you all, and thanks for any input.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:19 am

Hey, welcome -- Looks like a gem! Is that brick or stone on the exterior? How about some more photos -- we love to "nibshit" (Indiana term for "poking around in the neighbor's house").

Would you consider sticking with a single type of tile -- the slate you mention sounds cool -- as opposed to different colors for different rooms? I'm thinking of the modernist traits of simplicity, continuity, etc. Visitors will remember the beautiful exterior masonry as they come inside, so some conscious coordination (beige?) or intentional contrast (gray?) would bring the whole experience together. . .a stone dining room floor would be very nice!

Good luck with the ongoing process! SDR :cheers:

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”