logo Sell your used designer and mid-century modern furniture on Lushpad! Modern Community
star Message Board
home     what is modern? | glossary | reading list | listening suggestions | retro games | guides | shop
links | chat
  Your Style Guide for Googie, Atomic Age and Mid Century Modern Living: OPEN 24/7!
Welcome to Lotta Living! Pull up an Eames Chair. Loosen up that tie. Pour yourself a Martini.
And please turn up that Henry Mancini.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the the "For New User" Links on the left side of the screen. Everyone can read the forum, but you have to register before you can post: click the register link below to proceed. We'd love to have you at the Cocktail Party!
Register | Log in | Search
All unanswered posts

Lotta Living serves the membership of
Members & Local Groups
Atomic Ranch

Sell your used designer and mid-century modern furniture on Lushpad!

Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee

Kansas City Modern
Atomic Age Alliance

Recent Past Preservation Network

Support Your Community
For New Users:
WHAT'S THE SECRET WORD?

Welcome Message
House Rules
Basic Help
F.A.Q.
How to Post an Image
I forgot my Password
I forgot my username

Must Have Reading:
Googie
Googie Redux
More books here...

2001-02 Archives

LottaLiving.com Forum Index > Everything Else and the Kitchen Sink > "The Incredibles"
You are on Page 1 of 2 Go to page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic Post new topic
Satan's Sin
Modern Socialite

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:36 pm    Post subject: "The Incredibles" Reply with quote

What I've seen so far indicates the Incredibles' home is an orgy of midcentury loveliness. This from the same mind that brought us "The Iron Giant," which was set mid-century and hit almost all midcentury design themes bang-on (with the exception of not having a minimalist home in the story).

Anyway, here's a link to Tiki Central, where some TCers were fortunate enough to get a tour of Pixar's studios this past Friday:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=11643&forum=6&1
lasvegaslynn
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: The Incredibles Reply with quote

I, too, am looking forward to the movie. I noticed what a swank house they live in the first time I saw the DSL commercial tie-in. I can't remember which DSL provider the commercial was for but I sure do love the house!

www.classiclasvegas.squarespace.com (blog)

www.classiclasvegas.com (website)
KevInBoots
Modern Socialite

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know that at least some of the Pixar guys were into mid-century modern even before Brad Bird joined them when you notice touches like the Cherner chair in the background of Al's apartment in Toy Story 2.

I work in animation, where we're usually pretty immune to hype, and I've never seen such excitement and buzz about an animated film from within the animation community. I've already heard from half a dozen friends who have seen advance screenings, and so far it's 100% raves.
modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:52 am    Post subject: I noticed it too Reply with quote

In the commercials for it. Seems like finally homes in cartoons (er animation) come into the 21st century. Ya notice it in the Powerpuff Girls and The Grimm Adventures Of Billy & Mandy too and that cartoon "My Life as a Teenage Robot-XJ9 (Jenny) lives in a 'Wrightian' type house. I always wondered even as a kid why Tom & Jerry and Tweety & Sylvester were always being chased around a neighborhood that didn't look like the one I grew up in (ie much older that the typical cartoon viewer would have lived in at the time)

Last edited by modfan on Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total
SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:38 am    Post subject: Modern Cartoons Reply with quote

Was it at Warner Bros. and UPA that animation art directors introduced a new palette of shapes and colors, and a newly-stylized look, to the backgrounds of their cartoons, in the 'fifties? Seems to me there was a TV special on this subject a while back. . . Porky Pig and Mr Magoo, abstracted landscape features, floating architectural elements and free-form shapes. . .there's a connection here to the pastel yellows, acquas, pinks and grays, and the (Bauhaus-inspired?) industrial textures, informal typography and lay-out found in the commercial art and advartising design of the post-war years.
KevInBoots
Modern Socialite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was UPA in the 50's that really pushed animation into new graphic territory. The guys who formed the studio had left Disney during the '41 strike and were really eager to get away from that style of animation. During the war most animation was under government contract, and that's what they focused on. Their big breakout short was "Hell Bent for Election," directed by Chuck Jones (tho' he was still at Warners at the time) for FDR's re-election campaign. I beleive it was in the wake of that film that they became UPA. The Magoo films were originally innovative, but most of what we see from those films were the later stuff, after the HUAC had wrecked the studio (the originators were a fiercely independent lot, and some leaned leftwards).

The best UPA films were from the late 40's and early 50's. They emphasized graphic, two-dimensional shapes, and limited animation (surprisingly effective, though now given a bad name from years of crap Sat. morning kiddie shows). The studio founders were deeply into modernist ideas, and you see it in the color palates and design work, and I think even in their storytelling. Check out "Gerald McBoing Boing," Rooty Toot Toot," and "The Tell Tale Heart" for highlights.

I think the Warners' film you're thinking of was Bob Clampett's "Porky in Wackyland." Cllampett was probably the most innovative of the Warners directors, and that film (I think from '38) went far afield from anything other animators were doing at the time. Abstract and surreal, with Porky struggling to make sense of it all. Clampetts best work came a little later, in cartoons like "The Great Piggy Bank Robbery." Later he did Beany and Cecile, which never really caught my fancy.
Satan's Sin
Modern Socialite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking purely as a child, I hated those "minimalist" cartoons, particularly those "weird" WB cartoons like Porky in Wackyland, etc., I and more than one childhood friend considered those "modernistic" cartoons to be cheap and stripped down, and what we really liked was the lush detail and smooth animation of the 30s and 40s WB cartoons. Sat. morn cartoons of my childhood really were rotten, stiff-looking and cheap and niggardly with movement and background, and I'm sure they weren't any stylistic expiriment like Chuck Jones was trying, they really were just the cheapest way to do it, just as hack architects of the era were only interested in throwing up the quickest, cheapest bldg they could as opposed to exploring modernism. I was in NYC recently and finally saw the Seagram bldg up close, and for all its stark lines it really is put together with as much gorgeousness and attention to detail as a cathedral, and opposed to most flat-topped no-ornamentation skyscrapers I've seen, which look cheap and dead and seem to suck at your soul as soon as you step inside.

Even though I loved "old fashioned" cartoons as a child I can truly and honestly say that I did love "modernistic" homes of my childhood (of which there were more than a few in my hometown of Sarasota, FL), and the more different they were from an "old" house, the better.
KevInBoots
Modern Socialite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, "Porky in Wackyland" wasn't an attempt at a new graphic style like the UPA cartoons. It was an attempt to do Dali in animation. The animation was as "full" as any of the other Warners cartoons of the 30's and 40's. Some of it does look a little crude today, because the Warner's animators were just starting to hit their stride, and Clampett was a very young director then (in both senses of the word).

You're certainly right about the Sat. AM cartoons that were made for TV. UPA pioneered what's known as limited animation as an artistic choice. It was only later, and most notably by Hanna Barbara, that limited animation was used as a labor-saving (read: cheaper) technique. That was the only way animation could be done for a TV schedule, which the Warners and UPA guys never really had to deal with.

When I was a kid, the cartoons I considered "old fashioned" were the Disney shorts. They seemed so tame and pointless compared to the Warners and better MGM shorts. Not that I saw much of any animation as a kid -- my Dad hated TV and we usually didn't have one till I was older.
Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Incredibles Reply with quote

lasvegaslynn wrote:
I, too, am looking forward to the movie. I noticed what a swank house they live in the first time I saw the DSL commercial tie-in. I can't remember which DSL provider the commercial was for but I sure do love the house!

hahaha - i am not alone - that commercial stopped me in my tracks, too. it looks like an alexander home!

my friend humuhumu - just got back from an 'incredible' visit to the pixar studios - it was discussed a bit at Tiki Central - along with some cool pictures.
http://tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=11643&forum=6&8
KevInBoots
Modern Socialite

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: Yes, it's as good as I expected Reply with quote

Saw it tonight at the Director's Guild. What a ball! Even if you hate animation, anyone on this forum will absolutely love the sets and design work. Just beautiful mid-century modern stuff overflowing the backgrounds, to the point where I was often too distracted to watch the characters. I hate spoilers, so I won't say more -- just go check it out.

Kevin
KevInBoots
Modern Socialite

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:54 pm    Post subject: Link to UPA cartoons Reply with quote

If anyone was reading the posts about the UPA studio and was curious, here's a link with some stills and some of the cartoons:

http://www.bremenonline.org/boing/

It has some annoying sound effects, and the navigation can be a little frustrating, but the cartoons are as fresh as ever.

Kevin
JAB
Special Secret Modern Agent

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They obviously get it at Pixar. Anyone with any sense of design will love this movie!
moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:33 am    Post subject: Incredibles Review Reply with quote

At the risk of being slightly off topic here I would like to say that the animators at Pixar have done it again with the "Incredibles!"

I just took my kids to see the latest installment in the Pixar Studios repertoire this weekend. As usual, we did not walk away disappointed. They loved the hilarious comic book heroes and I enjoyed the adult jokes along with the thousand of pop movie and design references throughout the film.

The movie starts out with a distinct pre-WWII, Super Hero style, complete with morphing bat car-like chase scene.

The movie quickly jumps 15 years ahead to a post WWII style, where we find our heroes, the Incredibles, living in domestic bliss in their mid-fifties, butterfly-roof ranch, tract house. The animators have once again added all the period specific digital props to their sets. George Nelson like shelving holds their collection of Danish pottery. And don’t forget the ball clocks. A cool Danish modern modular sofa adorns the living room as well. The kitchen still has its original mid-century cabinets!

Those animators really know their fifties furniture!

The "Incredibles" has also reached new heights in Pixar’s trademark humorous parody; this time, jabbing James Bond movies. What 007-esque adventure would be complete without a hip modern, villainous, under volcano, lair and a really cool intra-island people mover to service the rocket launch pad? If America could only be as creative as Hollywood villains with their urban transportation issues. Also listen for the 007 theme music references.

In other scenes, the Q-like fashion designer lives in a Miesian mansion decked out in German minimalism. Her laboratory even sports conveyor belt attached, pseudo-swan chairs (or were they orange peel chairs?).

You will also find Pixar’s requisite Star Wars references in a through the Jungle chase scene, with bad guys crashing into trees and rocks.

Take your kids or take your neighbors kids to see this great new movie loaded with lots of great architectural and design references.

Overall I would give the movie Cheers! Cheers! Cheers! Cheers! out of Cheers! Cheers! Cheers! Cheers!
modfan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: There's a an article in today's L A Times Reply with quote

On the modernism in 'The Incredibles' and other animation. I'd put the link on here but it's 'premium content' and you have to subscribe with a user name and/or pay for the access. Anyone else want to try the cut and paste-there's also a real cool pic of their house in the hard copy edition. (Mentions Eichler as well!)
SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: Times 'Incredibles' Reply with quote

I picked up a copy -- Color shot of 'Incredibles' house, b+w of 'Team America' (model) interior. Article worth reading tho not deep. . .makes a good point about the strength of the best Hollywood Modernism vs. the hollowness of some of today's hand-me-down architectural styling.

Thanks for the tip!

SDR
sky

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the movie this morning - I agree that it was totally wicked. ("Totally wicked" is what the neighborhood kid says at the end, so I guess the design was retro, but the dialogue was current Ali G.) I resented the stereotyping of middle-age super heroes, but otherwise, I really enjoyed it. I'll probably buy the DVD to see the detail - the action at the end is too fast to see the cars in the street, for example.

There were some flaws. I think it's clearly a bad idea to put GPS tracking in a super suit. And how implausible was it to launch the van inside the rocket at the end?

Regarding capes - I disagree with Edna (the Edith Head character). I think the problem with super heroes is that, like everyone else, they fail to read the manufacturers' warnings on the label. Generally, capes are very useful, and appealing. In the "Hitchhiker's Guide", they made the point that if you could only bring one item along, that it should be a towel - because of all its practical applications. Isn't a cape functional just like that; capable (no pun intended) of providing warmth and a feeling of security, and at the same time a sense of style?
JAB

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I could change 1 thing, I would have cast Patrick Warburton
(sp?) (Puddy(sp?) from Seinfield(sp?)) instead of Craig T. Nelson as the lead voice.
Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sky wrote:
Regarding capes – I disagree with Edna (the Edith Head character). I think the problem with super heroes is that, like everyone else, they fail to read the manufacturers' warnings on the label. Generally, capes are very useful, and appealing. In the “Hitchhiker’s Guide”, they made the point that if you could only bring one item along, that it should be a towel - because of all its practical applications. Isn’t a cape functional just like that; capable (no pun intended) of providing warmth and a feeling of security, and at the same time a sense of style?

While it's true a towel is a useful thing to have along - but I believe that Edna's point was that with the cape physically attached to you around your throat - it is potentially be dangerous - warning labels or not.
Perhaps if she designed one with a safety release?
SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JB -- "High Five!"

sky -- Capes=good.

F -- Velcro=more good.

SDR Cheers!
sky

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Futura Girl wrote:
I believe that Edna's point was that with the cape physically attached to you around your throat - it is potentially be dangerous - warning labels or not.

You surprise me, MFKAM (moderator formerly know as megamail). You won't tolerate slackers on the board, and yet you would coddle super heroes. If they cannot wear their capes without getting sucked into a jet engine, then we should call those capeless sods for what they really are: superly-challenged heroes.

Foregoing the cape shames all super heroes who preceded those capeless wonders. Notwithstanding SDR's imaginative Velcro idea (I suppose they also strap on their boots for fear that they would trip over their laces), a cape is a badge of honor. It's like ... well, how would you feel if you were Herbert T. Gillis and found out that they gave a good conduct medal to Maynard G. Krebbs? It would be an outrage! I understand that there is already a 527 group forming in Texas preparing to run anti-Incredibles ads in theaters.

I tell you my friends; we've got trouble - right here in Modern City - with a capital M, that rhymes with "mayhem", that happens when you lower the standard for super heroes.

-sky

An aside: It could be that "Kinsey" will be of interest to the board as that is also historically mid-century. “Spongebob the Movie” could be of interest in terms of design. What you can do with a pineapple under the sea these days is amazing.

(Only 3 more posts before I meet my marker.)
modfan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:11 am    Post subject: I saw Reply with quote

the movie.

It's pretty good. Like another poster alluded to-you need to rent/buy the DVD when it comes out to get a closer look at the details. The house is especially cool. I wonder if they will have a Disney attraction/ride called the Indcredibles house, someday maybe build the tract in the movie in their Celebration Fl. planned community-or at least add it to the 'pattern book'-hey Disney folks lurking here-you're not fully exploiting the movies possibilities.
modfan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:36 am    Post subject: See the house Reply with quote

from a clip on this link http://www.hebdenbridge-picturehouse.co.uk/pages/movietrailers.phtm

go to clip 3 for The Incredibles

You can stop it to get a good look at the house.
nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meet the Oscar(R) nominated creator of THE INCREDIBLES, Brad Bird.

Brad will be signing copies of "The Art of The Incredibles" book for legions of INCREDIBLES fans and the first 250 fans will also receive a copy of the Oscar(R) nominated screenplay from THE INCREDIBLES.

BRAD BIRD (Director/Screenwriter/Voice of Edna Mode) has long been regarded by his peers in the animation community as one of the most innovative, talented and passionate purveyors of his craft.  He makes his Pixar debut with THE INCREDIBLES following a distinguished career in television and film.

Bird's credits include a stint as executive consultant to thehit animated television series, "King of the Hill" and "The Simpsons."  For the latter, he directed several memorableepisodes, including "Krusty Gets Busted" and "Like Father, Like Clown."  He is also the creator (writer, director, andco-producer) of the "Family Dog" episode of Steven Spielberg's "Amazing Stories."  In addition, Bird co-wrote the screenplay for the live-action feature "*batteries not included."  Forthe big screen, Bird made an auspicious directing debut with the acclaimed 1999 animated feature, "The Iron Giant."  Healso co-wrote the screenplay for that film, which was one of the best reviewed films of the year.

THE INCREDIBLES is nominated for four Academy Awards this year:  Best Animated Feature, Best Original Screenplay, Sound Editing and Sound Mixing.

The signing will take place 7.30pm Wednesday, February 9 at Barnes and Noble, The Grove at Farmers Market, 189 Grove Drive Suite K 30, Los Angeles, CA 90036.
bananabobs
Modern Master

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The movie was released on DVD today and I picked it up. I hate going to the movie, they will not stop the movie for me when I gotta go potty or get something else to eat and my floor is only half as sticky. All of that to say I concur! be sure to watch the bonus cartoon, too cute! (Did I say cute?)
johnnyapollo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Circuit City has the DVD for $14.95 with a free Incredibles min-basketball. Picked mine up yesterday. If you can't find it there Best Buy will price match.

-- John
Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally saw it last night. Pretty cool stuff, the story was Bond-ish and Buffy-ish, which was cool. I liked the built-in shelves in there home. The details were "incredible" ... pun intended ( :

Cheers! Cheers! Cheers!
SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well -- you ARE a Special Secret Modern Agent -- I'm surprised you weren't tapped for the production ! ("Bond. . .Joseph Bond.")

Guess I'll be the last one (as usual) to see it. From the most recent review, I learned that it's Edna's house that is the most spectacular -- and that the director does her voice (?).

Is it a "I want to see it again" movie? SDR
lasvegaslynn
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: The Incredibles Reply with quote

SDR,

It is definitely a multi-viewing movie. My biggest complaint with the bonus material (and as film maker who appreciates all the behind the scenes stuff) is I wanted to see something on the inspiration of the art design of the Incredibles house, the influence of Bond films and the homage to Edith Head.

Perhaps, I missed it (and please let me know because the set we have from Best Buy is defective and we could not make it through all the bonus material (though we did make through all the way up to "Incredibloopers").

Love the film, love the second disc, just wanted it to be less CG oriented and more inspired by oriented.

www.classiclasvegas.squarespace.com (blog)

www.classiclasvegas.com (website)
johnnyapollo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you catch the "Jack Jack Attack" short on disk 2? Their house gets pretty mangled in that - plus you get to see some architectural features not shown in the original film.

Here's a list of easter eggs on the DVD:

1. From the main menu page, wait for the Omnidroid icon to appear, press right & then enter.
2. Select deleted scenes & press enter, wait for the omnidroid icon to appear, press right & then enter.
3. select behind the scenes & press enter, wait for the omnidroid icon to appear, press right & then enter.
4. Select more making of the Incredibles & press enter, wait for the omnidroid icon to appear, press right & then enter.
5. From behind the scenes menu, select publicity & press enter, wait for the omnidroid icon to appear, press right & then enter.
6. From the index menu, go to page 1, wait for the omnidroid icon to appear, press right & then enter.
7. On page 2 of the index menu, wait for the omnidroid icon to appear, press right & then enter.
8. Select setup & press enter, wait for the omnidroid icon to appear, press right & then enter.

Some neat stuff in there.

-- John
Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from 'z' on the Eichler Network bb:

"... The Parr's home in the Incredibles is very much Eichler inspired.
Scott Caple credited as the Environmental Designer on the film was a big
fan of Eichlers and taking direction from the Director, Brad Bird they went
with the modern retro style, because it's so damn cool.

While in early development the design team on the Incredibles had
aquired the Ernie Braun photographs from the book, Eichler / Modernism
Rebuilds the American Dream before the book was published.

I'm an Animator at Pixar and was thrilled to have been able to worked on
The Incredibles, and I'm also a proud owner of an Eichler."

The kitchen cabinets and built-in shelves reminded me of early-'50s models by Anshen+Allen
You are on Page 1 of 2 Go to page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic | View next topic
Or
Jump to: