Wall sconces

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

tikiyaki
Special Secret Modern Agent

Wall sconces

Postby tikiyaki » Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:11 pm

Hey...

Saw a photo of someone's house on here, and the front porch light was this really cool stainless wall sconce. One of those double cone shaped ones with the two cones adjoining at the skinny ends in the middle. You, know, classic Googie style.
Anyone know where I can get one of these... Are people making them new ?

Please lemme know.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:05 am

tikiyaki

Postby tikiyaki » Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:34 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:03 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:03 am

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

sconce

Postby SDR » Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:59 pm

(I have a friend who can't get the name right -- he calls them "scones.")

SDR :D

Chimay

Two-sided cone sconces

Postby Chimay » Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:56 pm

I can't figure out why these things don't just cost 40 or 50 dollars. I guess it's a question of economies of scale. There was a time when they were available at every hardware store (like globe lights!) and were found in every tract home in SoCal, so they were dirt cheap. Now, we have to go to specialty retailers and pay $400 dollars instead... Meanwhile, I'm sure Home Depot is having a special on brass neo-colonial coach lights, 2 for $20... *sigh*

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

double

Postby SDR » Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:09 pm

Well, that really is a pretty nice fixture. . .I wonder who might have a collection of period sales literature, that would give us some idea of maker and date.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:53 pm

I normally don't post ebay finds on the board, it drive up prices. I just wanted to demonstrate that you can find great lights on ebay if you're patient. I got my front door light for $30. I got two more outdoor bullet lights from a Palo Alto Eichler (they'll go on my art studio made of recycled Eichler parts). I got two more vintage cone sconces for inside that will go up this week for $20.

tikiyaki

Postby tikiyaki » Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:37 am

I actually found the exact light I was looking for. Brushed aluminum, double upside down cones(with lights in both) on ebay for $100. I know it sells in Hollywood for like $600, so I scored. It's on my front porch right now. :-)

CyclingCoach
Modern Socialite

Postby CyclingCoach » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:36 pm

So should I strip out all the wall sconces from my house and sell them in Hollywood before I put my house up for sale? I've got a dozen original brushed aluminum wall sconces in my 1951 house. Its crazy what they are selling for.
Michael

tikiyaki

Postby tikiyaki » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:40 pm

Let me know if you do ;-)

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

wall sconces

Postby SDR » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:43 am

Michael -- Those "bullet lights" do a great job of bouncing light off the ceiling, providing the most flattering (to building and inhabitants) kind of light. Leaving them in place, and showing the house after dark, could just boost the value (to an enthusiastic buyer) more than enough to cover what you might get for them elsewhere. On the other hand, you mention that you're looking for details to complete your new home. . .

Arts & Crafts enthusiasts are still fuming over what happened to one of their icons, the Blacker House of Greene and Greene, in Pasadena. About 15 years ago, an investor and an art dealer from New York bought the house, stripped it of its light fixtures, which they got VERY good money for, and then sold the house. No-one in the world could argue that those fixtures "belonged" anywhere but in their original setting, because they had been designed by the architects for specific locations in that house. Your case is far different; I'm a little surprised that cone fixtures like yours aren't found among the current offerings of lighting manufacturers. With the current revival of interest in Mid-century Modernism, it may be only a matter of time before these fixtures become available again.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”