Up with Down with love!

Burlesque beauties, pinup girls, vintage fashion, swanky suits, go-go boots, hairdoos,
cocktails, recipes, dancing, nostalgia and random retro lifestyle that a Space Age Atomic Age Bachelor might need to know about. Post War movies, television, broadway shows, music... exotica, lounge, cocktail, vocals, standards, space-age, swing, tiki, Modern Transportation, 1950s 1960s classic cars, monorails, scooters, trailers and trains, oh my...

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java, Matt Deckard

lavardera
Modern Master

Up with Down with love!

Postby lavardera » Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:59 am

I just watched "Down with Love" for the first time last night and I really enjoyed the great apartment sets. So what was your favorite apartment:

Catcher's Bondesque bachelor pad.

The publishers mid-century ranch like terraced apartment.

Novaks sixtys pop space age bachelorette pad.
Greg
gregory la vardera architect
modern stock plans www.lamidesign.com/plans
design blogger www.materialicio.us

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

There was another thread on here

Postby modfan » Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:09 am

somewhere about Down With Love. I saw it on a hotel HBO-it was a hoot with all the sixties stuff in it (all the women perfectly coiffed, accessorized to the hilt-'dressed for going to the store')-altho somewhere it mentioned a scene at LAX but I watched the movie and there wasn't anything that I remember about that, maybe that's the extras on the DVD.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:50 pm

fun movie, cool sets! The next James Bond?

Satan's Sin
Modern Socialite

Postby Satan's Sin » Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:01 am

Production design: A++++

Storytelling: D-

I realize "Down" is supposed to be a frothy fantasy, but so was "Pillow Talk." PT worked better, I think, because the characters were halfway-realistic (okay, maybe only a quarter-realistic) and the characters in DWL were flat-out cartoons, up to and including a wall-to-wall background score to emphasize every raised eyebrow, every wacky look of surprise. There was nothing I could sink my teeth into -- except the lovely sets -- whereas in PT (which I saw recently) I could go along with the fun ride because the characters were (sort of like) human beings.

Hey, try "How to Murder Your Wife." New DVD out, picked it up at my library, Jack Lemmon's bachelor pad is Playboy to the max, really fun to watch plus the story's actually funny.

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter?

Postby moderns-r-us » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:04 am

Yes the references in DWL to movies like Pillow Talk are obvious. And yes the story is a little weak. But the sets are fabulous enough to warrant a rental. I drove my wife crazy shouting out the names of designers used in nearly every scene. Eames, Saarinen, Nelson and Wormley are just a few that come to mind.

The fashions are also worth a note. My favorites were the chrome yellow and houndstooth coordinates worn in the bar scene.

Can art direction save a movie?

If you enjoyed Pillow Talk and you liked the art direction of DWL then try to see Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter? It does not seem to be available on DVD yet, but watch for it on TNT or maybe it was Turner Classic Movies.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051196/

lavardera
Modern Master

Postby lavardera » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:58 pm

How to Murder your Wife? I think I saw that when I was a kid - Lemmon is a comic strip writer? Marries an italian women, puts on weight, comic character follows same fate?
Greg

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Re: Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter?

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:59 pm

moderns-r-us wrote: Can art direction save a movie?

I wasn't wild about the first Lord of the Rings movie (I loved the second one, though), but I saw it multiple times because I loved Hobbiton so much.

IMO, Blade Runner wouldn't be much without the art direction.
"If we cannot imagine utopia--if we do not involve ourselves in imagining it--we are certain not to realize it." -- Judith Lewis, LA Weekly, September, 2002

Satan's Sin
Modern Socialite

Postby Satan's Sin » Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:16 pm

"How to Murder Your Wife" -- yes, Jack Lemmon as comic strip writer, etc., right on.

It's well worth watching again. I can't get enough of early 60s bachelor pads. Thought the one in "Down With Love" was pretty cool, but I would've had MUCH more buttons on my remote-control thingy-dingy.

lavardera
Modern Master

Postby lavardera » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:07 pm

You're right - there could have been more buttons, but they were big ones, and big shiny toggley ones at that, so you have to give them that at least.

Here you go - take a shot at doing the Catcher Block thing here:
http://www.down-with-love.com/flash/bac ... lorpad.swf
Greg

lavardera
Modern Master

Postby lavardera » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:24 pm

Novak's pad:

I can't find an picture of Block's - :?:
Greg

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:41 pm

I think this interior owes a lot to the work of Eero Saarinen. I mean that even beyond the pink Womb Chairs.

tension rod suspended stair ala general motors research center

sunken conversation pit ala Miller residence Columbus, Indiana (albeit round instead of square)

Possibly Saarinens sensual shapes were ment to convey a since of femininity for the female lead, but a pink womb chair.... Come On !

Catchers apartment is equally angular with masculine wood paneling and blue accents.

Does anyone know who did the art direction and set design? I would love to find more movies this well done in that category. Perhaps we should invite the designer to contribute here!

RM

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:44 pm

How do you think the flue works on that fireplace anyway?

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:49 pm

PINK Womb Chairs! (I wish they'd lowered that fireplace hood a little, though. . .?) The floating stairway reminds me of the curved stair in the living-room set of "The Black Cat," an early use of Modernism in the movies. The owner is an architect (played by Boris Karloff); his house has a sliding front door, the steel stair rising in front of a back-lit egg-crate wall, and lever handles on brushed-metal bands across interior doors. Oh, and an organ, Satanist-cult paraphenalia, and the remains of a WW I torture-prison, in the basement. The 1934 Universal film also starred Bela Lugosi; a childhood favorite for several reasons! ". . .a masterpiece of CONstruction, beelt upon the rhuins of the master-piece of DEstruction. . .the master-piece of MOHRder. . .!"

SDR

Satan's Sin
Modern Socialite

Postby Satan's Sin » Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:48 pm

Jackie Gleason built and designed a round home in Peekskill, NY, in the early 60s ... it had two bars, a dance floor, all super-futuristic ... anyone heard of this? Have pics?

TwinJim
Modern Socialite

Postby TwinJim » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:48 pm

Favorite TV apt.? A hazy black & white screen memory comes to mind, Bob Cummings pad in "Love that Bob". He made being a photographer sooooo coooool cats and kitties.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Uncle Bob

Postby SDR » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:49 am

Bob Cummings's tag line: "Hold it! I think you're going to like this picture. . .!"

SDR :cheers:

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:59 am

Hmmm. Production designer was Andrew Laws.

Beyond the Sea had some pretty neat interiors... Haven't seen Jackie Brown, but isn't it a period piece, too? Tigerland apparently takes place in 1971.

>
>
>

Andrew Laws

Date of birth (location) 20 January 1967 Woking, Surrey, England, UK

Sometimes Credited As: Andrew James Laws

Filmography as: Production Designer, Art Director, Art Department, Actor

Production Designer - filmography
(In Production) (2000s) (1990s)

Derailed (2005) (filming)

Beyond the Sea (2004)

Along Came Polly (2004)

My Boss's Daughter (2003)

Down with Love (2003)

Phone Booth (2002)

Tigerland (2000)

The Minus Man (1999)

Art Director - filmography
(2000s) (1990s)

Swordfish (2001)

Gone in Sixty Seconds (2000)

Simpatico (1999)
... aka Simpatico (France)

Rushmore (1998)

Art Department - filmography

Jackie Brown (1997) (assistant art director) (as Andrew James Laws)

She's So Lovely (1997) (assistant art director)
... aka Call It Love

Touch (1997/I) (assistant art director)

Oh.. Well, here you go. This says everything: http://www.setdecorators.org/hotoffthes ... with_love/

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

more stuff....

Postby modfan » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:15 am

from a previous post....
Haven't seen Jackie Brown

It was recently on AMC. circa 1995-I think some websites on the movie discuss locales-mostly the now closed Cokatoo Inn (dunno if it's demo'ed yet). Jackie's apt. looks like some in Inglewood. And the Del Amo Mall circa 1995-you could still smoke inside and the food court's been remodeled since. Seems to be filmed mostly around the South Bay/Torrance/LAX area. Kinda a fun movie to watch tho...

Tolovana
Modern Fan

Postby Tolovana » Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:01 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Spiral

Postby SDR » Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:39 am

Novak's pad, "Down With Love": Does the spiral stair get used, or is it decorative? If it had to be a "practical" piece, that's quite an accomplishment!

sumu
Modern Master

Postby sumu » Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:58 am

My fave movie house - Mon Oncle...[/u]

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:08 pm

Oui. The lady of the house, trotting in zig-zag fashion on her fashionably zig-zagged stepping stone walk, was delicious. . .

lavardera
Modern Master

Re: Spiral

Postby lavardera » Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:59 pm

SDR wrote:Novak's pad, "Down With Love": Does the spiral stair get used, or is it decorative? If it had to be a "practical" piece, that's quite an accomplishment!

I don't recall anybody on the steps during the movie, but it looks plausible to me.
Greg

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:14 pm

Hey, Greg! (Are you snowed in today?)
I know stairs of this sort have been built since at least the sixties, but the vertical rods have to be fairly highly tensioned to provide rigidity, don't they. . .? But, I suppose they can do just about anything they need to on a soundstage, no?

Andrew Laws (on the site linked above) recalls that the fabric on the two Womb Chairs was dyed to match the actress's costume. . .I wonder if those chairs subsequently made it out into the retail market, or back to a prop rental company's stockroom. (That form can't be one of the easiest to (re)upholster. . .!)

SDR

lavardera
Modern Master

Postby lavardera » Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:47 pm

SDR wrote:Hey, Greg! (Are you snowed in today?)
I know stairs of this sort have been built since at least the sixties, but the vertical rods have to be fairly highly tensioned to provide rigidity, don't they. . .? But, I suppose they can do just about anything they need to on a soundstage, no?

That's what I figure - they might not be sturdy enough for continued use, but strong enough to be safe if somebody on the set walked up them. But if you set out to make them for real I think you could - it might not be quite as "light" in appearance.

And no snow here, not today at least.
Greg

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:11 pm

I guess a couple of horizontals to adjacent walls, if they could be concealed or minimalized, would provide the necessary stability -- for the purposes of filming it in use, you wouldn't want any visible "swaying motion" to distract from the action. . .?

Several books published in the sixties illustrate details of German and other European architecture -- more than a couple of these rod-suspended stairs (in commercial or institutional structures) are shown. There's at least one American example I've seen -- maybe at an embassy or consulate building? By Skidmore, or one of the "big boys". . . Those spiral wood handrails are an interesting technical challenge, too.

SDR

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:02 pm

Here is a great example of a permanent tension rod staircase in Los Angeles. The 1964 Department of Water and Power building by A.C. Martin.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:17 pm

Yowee -- thanks, Nichols. These things appeared all over in the sixties -- I wonder who did it first? A Wright house from 1948 (Mossberg; South Bend, IN) includes a straight stair, with landing and return, that is hung from rods, which echoes the stair suspended below the living room at Fallingwater. We just love to "defy" gravity and levitate matter, no?

Last edited by SDR on Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAB
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby JAB » Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:30 pm

Remember this one? Check out the staircase!

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic ... highlight=

It's since been re-listed for $680,000:

http://www.imrmls.com:8080/servlet/lFul ... ml=I434041

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:42 pm

I believe that Eero Saarinen was one of the first to do this type of suspended circular stair at his GM research facility in Michigan. I have not seen the stair in person, but my former employer toured the facility and mentioned that it does have a gentle sway in a delightful way.

I will look for photos and dates of this stair.

Maybe somebody knows of an earlier version, perhaps a European source.
Last edited by moderns-r-us on Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Everything Else and the Kitchen Sink”