WTD: Modern Lamp Shades

eBay auctions, Craig's List, store or product announcements, classified ads.

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

futura
Modern Fan

WTD: Modern Lamp Shades

Postby futura » Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:40 pm

Does anyone know where one can find modern lampshades for thirties to mid-century lamps? The fiberglass laced repros are nice (have some old ones also) but I am looking for a little more formal look in a fabric-covered drum shade that rests on a the typical opaque white glass diffuser for both a taller table lamp and a floor lamp. The fabric, mesh or reed look with metal bands top and bottom with shade material extending partially over the top –perhaps with a flat metal deflector covering or diffusing the light over the glass shade would be great. Seems like a challenge to find any shade with diameter the same top and bottom and shorter in height (drum shaped). Sorry I don’t know all the correct terminology but figure some of you out there would know a good website or place in greater LA area - hopefully with reasonable prices. Thanks for your help.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:45 pm

luke_trash
Modern Master

Postby luke_trash » Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:09 am

http://www.deadlynightshades.com/

They allow you to purchase these in kit form now for less money I think..

I'm smitten with fiberglass shades, but have gotten all of ours at auctions so far.
old beats new

johnnyapollo
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby johnnyapollo » Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:54 pm

Along these lines I'm in the market for some white lamp cord that I could use to replace and extend the hanging distance of a George Nelson globe light. Does anyone have a source that is reasonable? It seems like I should be able to find it for around $1 a foot (I've been quoted $2-3 per foot with a 15 foot minimum).

Thanks! John

luke_trash
Modern Master

Postby luke_trash » Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:34 am

old beats new

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:12 pm

It's possible that the cord on John's Nelson lamp is a slightly thicker cord with a smooth cylindrical jacket; he may want to visit a lamp store for advice on sources. For those restoring earlier lamps and fixtures, the old "silk-wrapped" cord is still made, in several colors.

SDR

johnnyapollo

Postby johnnyapollo » Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:04 pm

Right SDR - this is an original suspended or pendant lamp - I'm looking to extent the "hang" distance and lower the shade. It currently has the original white cord - I'm looking for a replacement. The white cord at Home Depot is twisted pair covered in white that has print on it - not too pretty...

-- John

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:55 pm

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:26 am

IKEA has a nice, smooth white lamp cord. They sell it for paper lanterns. I adapted it to a Nelson bubble lamp.

Good news: It's $2.99
Bad news: To get it thru the fixture I had to cut off the plug and attach another.. :(

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s ... ctId=33213

johnnyapollo

Postby johnnyapollo » Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:01 am

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:49 pm

Most lamp stores would be able to solve your problem. Any wire you chose to use would safely power a single 100-watt bulb. The problem is to find the correct cord for technical (diameter = clamping) and aesthetic (round smooth white jacket) purposes. The cord you select will determine the choice of a plug to fit it correctly. A lamp store can even attach the plug for you, and prepare the other end of the cord so you can feed it to the lamp socket; a straight-bladed screwdriver will attach the three wires to their correct terminals ("hot," neutral and ground) and tighten the clamping feature to the jacket of the cord.

SDR :-O:

Return to “Mid Century Modern Marketplace”