Modern Rialto

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
scottkaycee
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Modern Rialto

Postby scottkaycee » Mon Jan 13, 2003 11:09 pm

I am a new participant in the forum and had been asked to recommend the more significant Modern landmarks in this relatively small city located about 60 miles east of Los Angeles. We are located between Fontana and San Bernardino, so you really could call it the middle of nowhere. Our greatest Architectural treasure is the World Famous Wigwam Motel on Route 66- It has always been debatable as to whether it is actually within the City of San Bernardino, but is popularly considered a Rialto building.

We have the usual collection of Mid-Century motels, strip malls, and banks most in pretty bad shape.

The "Civic Center" is relatively intact, it is in a striped down mid-century motif with a slender pole columned flat roofed colonade, the buildings have concrete block screens and plywood barrel vaults roofs- actually the city council chambers has the barrel vaults. The whole complex is painted white, or atleast it was the last time I was around, there's a Library, several municipal office buildings and a police station, All done in the same style, fairly stylish but some remudling over the years.

Aside from the Civic center there is a Country Club plotted out in the mid 60's with several decent Ranch houses, some mid-cen post and beams and even a california regency complete with mis-proportioned classical columns holding up the flat roof.

Drive around some of the tracts and you'll find the usual collection of Ranch houses, There is one house in a post and beam shingle style with a dramatic porte-cochere that I have been told was moved here from an exhibit at the L.A. County Fair.

All in all the town is in the vein of most Tract House sprawl towns that grew around the old Pacific Electric and Santa Fe train lines across the Inland Valley, not nearly as bad as it's reputation and atleast it's midway between L.A. and Palm Springs. If you're desperate for Mid-century modern or a Ranch house you possibly could do worse, but be prepared to drive because everything is somewhere else.

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Tue Jan 14, 2003 1:03 pm

When I was in that area in '99 (I believe Colton), there was an "old west"-style shopping area, which I liked. I felt like I was in the west. One of the store owners told me the place was about to close. Did it?

(At one point I understand they had a stunt show.)

scottkaycee
Modern Master

Postby scottkaycee » Thu Jan 16, 2003 9:40 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”