Historic Auto Dealerships

Burlesque beauties, pinup girls, vintage fashion, swanky suits, go-go boots, hairdoos,
cocktails, recipes, dancing, nostalgia and random retro lifestyle that a Space Age Atomic Age Bachelor might need to know about. Post War movies, television, broadway shows, music... exotica, lounge, cocktail, vocals, standards, space-age, swing, tiki, Modern Transportation, 1950s 1960s classic cars, monorails, scooters, trailers and trains, oh my...

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java, Matt Deckard

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:45 am

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Too bad but

Postby modfan » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:56 pm

I wonder if there are any photos of Clark Bros. Olds on Holt in Pomona (demolished) or Tate Cadillac in Pomona (Building still stands but not in original 'show room' condition) or W. R. Shadoff Chrysler/Plymouth in downtown Pomona (demolished). Weber & Cooper Lincoln/Mercury in Ontario Ca. (Building still stands but not in original 'show room' condition).
Norman Ford in Pomona (demo'd or not 'showroom' original?).
Kinda sad to see some of these great buildings go as the dealers go to HUGE automalls.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:03 pm

I think some of those dealerships are in Charles Phoenix's Pomona book.

http://www.godblessamericana.com/gba_html/books.html

For this exercise, I think it's best to stick to the best examples among extant dealerships. Doesn't have to be in Southern California. Please include address and photo if you have it.

THANKS

JAB
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby JAB » Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:47 pm

The Cadillac dealer ships that were built during the time seemed to really get the formal high style of MCM. I believe that there's another right at the junction of the 5 & 605 freeways.

sid
Modern Master

Postby sid » Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:54 pm

SID

MISSING my long and straight beams, stretching from the outside and piercing through the interior and back out again; seeing it all in one glance! WOW, it was gorgeous!

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:04 pm

"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:01 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:19 pm

"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:20 pm

Yes, I agree with Crenshaw Ford, Casa de Cadillac and Felix Chevrolet. I've adored their neon signs for years. Although it's not modern, I also like the older showroom of Kaiser Brothers Honda (formerly Oldsmobile), 1540 South Figueroa Street, Los Angeles, CA 90015, Phone (213) 749-2331.

They still retain their unrestored neon signage and an interior showroom with office balconies. It's not in great condition but the space is still a throwback to the days of car dealerships -- before the days of car lots.

TwinJim
Modern Socialite

Postby TwinJim » Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:46 pm

Is the recreated auto showroom at the Petersen Auto Museum that of Earle C. Anthony's? It may qualify for your list Nichols, if repo's are not straying from the original intent.

Also, a beaut of a showroom is at 1365 N. Colorado Blvd. (Rt.66) at Hill Av. in Pasadena. Formerly Loud Ford, it's something like Pasadena Ford presently.

My wife still remembers the jingle for Stanley Chevrolet in Norwalk. She grew up in the town but dosen't know if the dealership is still extant. Anyone know?

designmatters
Modern Fan

Postby designmatters » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:47 pm

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:37 pm

Dustyman73
Modern Master

Postby Dustyman73 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:54 pm

retrocool
Modern Master

Massey Chevrolet Cadillac

Postby retrocool » Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:03 pm

Member Downey Historical Society,
President - The Downey Conservancy
Aerospace Legacy Foundation Board Member
President - Downey Museum of Art

SkipHome
Modern Master

no one will remember

Postby SkipHome » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:16 am

....Tommy Vaughn Mercury in Glendale. Soaring glass windows and a huge neon sign I can almost remember. My mom worked there in the 50s.
It was right next door to the John Lautner designed Henry's Restaurant and Drive In at Glendale Ave & Colorado Blvd.

Chrisgreen
Modern Socialite
Location: Los Angeles/Highland Park CA (Native of Dallas, TX)

Postby Chrisgreen » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:04 pm

Glendale Dodge on Brand Blvd. is a cool-looking, Googie-ish structure.

roadsidepictures

Postby roadsidepictures » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:52 pm

I thought this sign was nice in San Bernardino:

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:45 pm

Fred Hauter (AKA Paradise) Ford
2460 Honolulu Ave., Montrose
1956-2006

GLENDALE NEWS PRESS
January 13, 2006

Demolition paves way for parking

Council approves $176,000 for razing Paradise Ford to make room for a 125-space lot.

By Fred Ortega, News-Press and Leader

CITY HALL -- Parking relief is on the way for businesses and customers on the western end of the Montrose Shopping Park.

The City Council approved a $176,000 project on Tuesday to raze a vacant car dealership on the 2400 block of Honolulu Avenue and turn the property into a 125-space public parking facility.

It is expected to take two to three months for Viking Equipment Corp. and J&G Industries Inc. to demolish the 8,000-square-foot former Paradise Ford Dealership, prepare and patch the site's pavement and stripe the lot for public use, Public Works Director Steve Zurn said.

"It will not be a pay lot, but open, public parking," Zurn said.

The city purchased the property about four years ago, said John Drayman, president of the Montrose Shopping Park Assn. But discussions about how to best use the land, which is located across the street from the Montrose Library and Fire Station 29, delayed its development, Zurn said.

"The original intent was to provide parking when we purchased it," Zurn said. "But what has come up since then is the potential for combining a new fire station with public parking on the site. As the city looks at what the future holds for the library and the station, we are looking at using the lot for parking for now while examining future options.... The station is small, cramped and slowly deteriorating."

Future plans for the site should also include some type of community center, Drayman said.

"What we would like to see is the fire station move across the street to allow the library to expand," he said. "The station is in really bad shape, it is not a modern facility, and if they were to put a new station on the site with underground parking it would preserve public parking for the community. At the same time the facilities could have a sort of combination community meeting space of the sort that they have at the city's main fire station on Oak Street."

Meeting space is at a premium in the Crescenta Valley, Drayman said, with some 400 community groups sharing facilities at Citibank, the Montrose Library, the Crescenta Valley Sheriff's Station and Verdugo Hills Hospital.

Ken Grayson, owner of Grayson's Tune Town and whose business is located near the future parking lot, has advocated for the extra spaces since the property became available in 2001.

He pointed out that more than 80% of the parking for the shopping park is located on the 2200 block.

"This will definitely provide some relief and the potential for stronger businesses to come to the 2300 and 2400 block," Grayson said. "For many years only small stores with very little activity could afford to rent on the 2400 block. It was very difficult to get any restaurants or decent retailers because availability of parking was a snag."

The city should also consider making some of the 125 spaces in the lot available for employee-only parking permits, as is the case in other public lots throughout the shopping park, Grayson said.

"If they don't take employee parking into consideration, we won't really get that much relief," he said. "Right now I can't even get my employees to park down there and we aren't that far. But if you do some of it on a permit basis, you force employees to park over there and free up some of the [storefront] parking for customers. They really need to think it out a little bit to make the most use of that parking."

Permit parking for employees is definitely an option for the new lot, Traffic and Transportation Administrator Jano Baghdanian said.

"If there is a need for it, and there is a situation where the lot is getting really full then we will set up a portion of the spots for employee parking," Baghdanian said. "We will work out the details with the Montrose Shopping Park Assn."

http://www.glendalenewspress.com/busine ... 2115c.html

MD²

Postby MD² » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:34 pm

--
Last edited by MD² on Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nitcat
Modern Groupie

Arlington, Virginia

Postby Nitcat » Sun May 21, 2006 4:59 pm

It was in the news recently here in the Washington, DC, area that Bob Peck Chevrolet in Arlington is going out of business. It's smack in the middle of a bunch of new high rise condos and real estate has gone crazy there.

I was looking for a photo of this dealership online and just stumbled across this site with photos of Bob Peck Chevy and some other vintage showrooms

http://www.agilitynut.com/showrooms2.html

and if you go to the main site, there are photos of a lot of other vintage roadside topics. Pretty great!
Barry R

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:35 am

Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu May 22, 2008 10:38 am

The 1964 Bob Peck Chevrolet dealership in Arlington, VA is about to go.

PRESERVATION ONLINE
D.C. Area To Lose Midcentury Modern Car Dealership
By Stephanie Smith | Online Only | May 14, 2008

Bob Peck Chevrolet will be demolished in 2008. A developer plans to include a replica of the 1964 icon in the new building.

Credit: RoadsideArchitecture.com
A whimsical, midcentury modern building that Arlington, Va., residents have used for decades as a navigational marker will soon disappear.

Known for its flying-saucer-like canopy, Bob Peck Chevrolet, built 1964, will be demolished in the coming weeks, according to Maryland-based owner JGB Companies. Arlington County approved its plans for a mixed-use development on the site in February, and work is set to begin early next year...

http://www.preservationnation.org/magaz ... ury-m.html

tomb
Modern Master

Postby tomb » Tue May 27, 2008 2:13 pm

I was browsing my local libraries photo archives and saw photos of this dealership that I thought were pretty neat:

that great building is now a parking lot/taco bell at a busy intersection.

AJ Fisher
Modern Master

Postby AJ Fisher » Wed May 28, 2008 9:04 pm

This is a 1960 image of the former Lew Williams/Joe Romania Chevrolet auto showroom here in Eugene, Oregon.

The showroom's future is uncertain. The property is currently owned by the University of Oregon. I have corresponded with the University about the showroom's future. Local newspaper articles have suggested that the property may be developed in the future.

This is what the showroom currently looks like. The lower portion of the floor to ceiling glass walls have been boarded over. I believe the showroom is used for storage right now, which is a shame. I am hopeful the University will step forward and endorse it's preservation. The former auto showroom has been described as the "strongest example of Googie in Eugene".

Here is a website I have built to promote appreciation of this amazing Googie structure:

http://www.eugenemodern.org/romania/

-AJ

Pal George
Modern Socialite

Postby Pal George » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:47 pm

I'd be especially interested in Lincoln Continental dealerships of the 50-60's, Julius Shulman photographed the Killingsworth designed Duffield dealership in Long Beach in 1963, the image was prominently featured on the Getty's street light banners for there tiny exhibit a few years back. I doubt the dealership exists today, maybe someone knows?[/img]

Chrisgreen
Modern Socialite
Location: Los Angeles/Highland Park CA (Native of Dallas, TX)

Car Dealerships

Postby Chrisgreen » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:29 am

I love Crestview Cadillac!
in West Covina, CA.

Photo by: Chris Green

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:50 pm

Ray Vines Chrysler - Plymouth, 1963
4201 E. Willow St.
Long Beach

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:27 pm

there was a row of dealerships in canoga park along sherman way - with some remnants remaining.

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:42 pm

Here's Ray Vines, now Worthington Cars and Trucks. Agilitynut.com says that this originally was the R.O. Gould Chrysler-Plymouth dealership...?

Felix Chevrolet.

And J.D. Byrider at 3024 Fremont St in Las Vegas.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:38 pm

Return to “Everything Else and the Kitchen Sink”