Looking for cool wall sconces

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

Sienna
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Sienna » Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:01 pm

Something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &rd=1&rd=1

Or this:

Or this:

But without the $200 ebay prices please.

We go to yard sales, estate sales, the Long Beach Veterans Stadium flea market, etc...but no luck. Anyone know where to look for sconces like these?

thanks all!

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:30 pm

your third link is fairly close to what was original in most Cliff May homes. I still have all my sconces (which were also original in many Eichlers). I just found a double coned one at the local building products recycling center this past weekend for two bucks. I have captured a few from ebay as well, along with some slightly different, smaller ones for other areas of the house. I'll post up a photo this weekend.

The are gold-copper colored on the outside, but can be easily stripped if you want the brushed aluminum look. Great for indirect lighting, shining on the ceiling.

Sienna

Postby Sienna » Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:34 pm

Joe wrote:your third link is fairly close to what was original in most Cliff May homes. I still have all my sconces (which were also original in many Eichlers). I just found a double coned one at the local building products recycling center this past weekend for two bucks. I have captured a few from ebay as well, along with some slightly different, smaller ones for other areas of the house. I'll post up a photo this weekend.

The are gold-copper colored on the outside, but can be easily stripped if you want the brushed aluminum look. Great for indirect lighting, shining on the ceiling.

Thanks Joe - we'll keep pluggin along looking and your suggestion regarding the gold/copper ones is a good one.

tikiyaki

Postby tikiyaki » Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:38 pm

With all the interest in these kind of lights, it's amazing IKEA hasn't knocked them off yet. You know if they did, they would probably be $30.
I think someone is reproducing them, because I bought mine from our own SID for $100. and I think it was a newer repro...SID, new or old ?

I did see the same light at one of the expensive Hollywood places on La Brea fror $600, so I did get a bargain, but it seems that everyone is going crazy for these on eBay.

Sienna

Postby Sienna » Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:45 pm

tikiyaki wrote:With all the interest in these kind of lights, it's amazing IKEA hasn't knocked them off yet. You know if they did, they would probably be $30.
I think someone is reproducing them, because I bought mine from our own SID for $100. and I think it was a newer repro...SID, new or old ?

I did see the same light at one of the expensive Hollywood places on La Brea fror $600, so I did get a bargain, but it seems that everyone is going crazy for these on eBay.

I know - kinda makes me not want to get them but I think they would go fabulously in my CM, plus, they're close original in the CM homes

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:47 pm

all the new and reproduction sconces out there run about $200, which sucks. If you watch ebay for a while, hit your home reuse centers, you'll find what you need. I had a neighbor drop one off at my front door with a note for free!

here is a past thread on sconces

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic ... ght=sconce

$30-50/sconce on ebay isn't too bad

Actually, IKEA does make a sconce like light which isn't too bad, but I believe it's in strips of 2 and 3. I forget the name, but will look up tonight.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:25 pm

spinsLPs
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby spinsLPs » Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:38 am

You might want to pop into Liz's Antique Hardware and see what they have. Could be pretty spendy though.

http://lahardware.com/

puzzle
Modern Socialite

Postby puzzle » Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:17 pm

I was at Liz's a few months ago and it looked like they carried the Rejuvenation lights (or ones that look very similar), but they charged quite a bit more for them.

tikiyaki

Postby tikiyaki » Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:12 pm

Liz's Hardware is OK, but they WAY overprice their stuff...I mean WAY overpriced ! Plus you have to wade through tons of granny anitique stuff to find the MCM stuff. I'd rather just use ebay.

I like how Joe went to the recycling center and get the steal of the century for $2. Now that's something alot of people haven't thought of.
Usually the antique dealers have all that stuff wired, but I'm not sure they've figured out the salvage thing yet.

I think it's best to avoid Liz's.

retrOKC
Modern Socialite

Postby retrOKC » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:04 am

It should go without saying, but when you get a set of wall sconces that all match, of course the price is going to go up. I for one don't want two different wall sconces up in my living room. Good lighting is going to cost you money, you have to ready for them when the time comes.

As for my bedrooms, it is sort of nice to have different sconces up for variety.
Mike

Action movie fans, we need your help!

jenkinshouse
Modern Master

Postby jenkinshouse » Fri May 06, 2005 1:15 pm

What do you think of these?

http://www.progresslighting.com/search. ... ct_id=1588

Does anyone think 6x18 is too big for the bedroom for these "up and down" cylinder lamps? How about 6x12 from the ceiling (it's 9 ft high). They have a smaller ceiling fixture, but not with the sconces.

They remind me of Case Study Houses. I have one of my originals from the 50's that looks like this, so these seem like a good fit...

The owner was intending to find her original fixtures that she thought she had, but I think that was just a dream.

It's ridiculous that progress doesn't make the cone sconces. They would certainly sell judging by nearly $1000 on ebay.
Jason

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri May 06, 2005 1:34 pm

the silver light in the photo is great for flat ceilings, not so good for vaulted. Still made in white and flat black. Easy to make if you go skills

The progress lighting sconces are pretty good if you don't have anything else. They can be painted. indoors/outdoors.

the50sguy
Modern Socialite

Postby the50sguy » Fri May 06, 2005 4:58 pm

jenkinshouse wrote:What do you think of these?

http://www.progresslighting.com/search. ... ct_id=1588

Does anyone think 6x18 is too big for the bedroom for these "up and down" cylinder lamps? How about 6x12 from the ceiling (it's 9 ft high). They have a smaller ceiling fixture, but not with the sconces.

They remind me of Case Study Houses. I have one of my originals from the 50's that looks like this, so these seem like a good fit...

The owner was intending to find her original fixtures that she thought she had, but I think that was just a dream.

It's ridiculous that progress doesn't make the cone sconces. They would certainly sell judging by nearly $1000 on ebay.
Jason

Nah...I say stick with the cone ones. These look too 70's and 80's to me.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri May 06, 2005 6:11 pm

I think they look good for your house. We have to remember that there are different KINDS of MCM. Jason's Jenkins is of the Case Study rectilinear/minimalist school (with some warm elements -- see Jose Luis Sert or George Nelson), as opposed to an Eichler or May, with their sloping roofs and thicker details. These cylinders are rigorously vertical, like this house, while cones ( particularly adjustable ones) seem more in line with the "juicier" and softer qualities of the horizontal houses.

Jason's going to need exterior downlights, as well -- having the same form of fixture througtout allows this fixed lighting to become background, so that other elements can come forward.

Just my thoughts. SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

the50sguy
Modern Socialite

1950's cone wall sconces

Postby the50sguy » Fri May 06, 2005 6:45 pm

Actually, I have been looking into reproducing them as well. I took apart the ones I have to have them rebrassed. Almost everything that was used to make the sconce is still available today from lamp parts wherehouses. The only thing is that the cone itself would have to be fabricated from aluminum and basically stamped into the shape...the way it was done then. Of course, that won't be cheap, from what I've been quoted, but I have a rich friend that will spot me some of the money to have it done. What cost the most is making the mold to stamp it. After that, you can have them stamped out all day. I will also have to see how to get the pinholes drilled into them without having to do it by hand. I can guarentee you that they will look just like their original counterpart, but not cost quite as much as that place selling them for $400+ a pop. That's just too high.

the50sguy
Modern Socialite

Postby the50sguy » Fri May 06, 2005 7:12 pm

here are some samples of some cool sconces...very 50's...that were on Ebay sometime last year. The guy wanted like $600 starting bid on them. I never did check to see what they went for.

The one below is what I have in my place. It came out of an old Arthur Murry dance studio that my mom taught dancing at in the late-50's, here in the city I now live in. I went to city hall to see if I could see when the lights were installed and sure enough I found the old permit dated 1955.

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Fri May 06, 2005 7:15 pm

I am a little concerned about the size, not the shape. It seems more appropriate for a 12' ceiling than a 9' ceiling.

To me the shape is good and I have seen that shape on fifties arch.

The scale seems more commercial though.

There used to be a company called McPhilbin that made stuff like this in varying sizes and different mounting options including a yoke which would solve some peoples sloped ceiling problems. I seem to recall McPhilbin being purchased by one of the big boy lighting companies, but keeping the name. Prices would not be as good as Progress. I did not google yet.

Have you considered mounting a monopoint (a hockey puck size piece of track) and just using a PAR 30 barrel shaped track fixture? It would not be completely period but the affect might be better than the appropriate period fixture and cheaper.

Joe - do we dare mention Lumiere, Low Voltage lights? 2 1/2" diameter, 6" or 7" deep!

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri May 06, 2005 8:55 pm

you know that same issue if Western Interiors which featured the Point House, had a newly constructed home in Palo Alto which used mini sconces made by the same company who the low voltage lights in the Point House. They just disappeared on the black I-beams.

If you looking for function, those low voltage light would be the way to go. But I think people are looking for some sort of ornamentation with period lighting.

With ebay finds and other period lights, scale is important. No sense in hanging a $300 ebay find on the wall if it over powers the wall or the room.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat May 07, 2005 7:57 am

To wit: I would think those splendid shiny "look-at-me" double cones, above, would be perfect for a restaurant or other commercial application (as they were no doubt designed for) -- or, perhaps, a large and lively "let's-have-fun" residential interior. . .

We may recall that many of the designers we admire were going for minimalism, with the hardware of the day; the most compact and simplest surface-mount light fixtures available then were cans of the sort shown on the pavement, above. They would no doubt applaud the halogen puck!

An unforgivable faux pas, to me, is the installation of surface-mount track on the bottom of a beam, as was seen in a recent realtor's shot of a Cliff May. Perhaps track lighting shows worse in a photo than in the flesh; but any architect who could, would specify something more subtle, wouldn't he?

SDR

the50sguy
Modern Socialite

Postby the50sguy » Sat May 07, 2005 8:38 am

SDR wrote:To wit: I would think those splendid shiny "look-at-me" double cones, above, would be perfect for a restaurant or other commercial application (as they were no doubt designed for) -- or, perhaps, a large and lively "let's-have-fun" residential interior. . .

We may recall that many of the designers we admire were going for minimalism, with the hardware of the day; the most compact and simplest surface-mount light fixtures available then were cans of the sort shown on the pavement, above. They would no doubt applaud the halogen puck!

An unforgivable faux pas, to me, is the installation of surface-mount track on the bottom of a beam, as was seen in a recent realtor's shot of a Cliff May. Perhaps track lighting shows worse in a photo than in the flesh; but any architect who could, would specify something more subtle, wouldn't he?

SDR

Well, in my true opinion, those can-shaped lights are plain, boring and really don't reflect a true 50's feel. They would probably compliment the furniture of the same, cold feeling, such as a Knoll couch with aluminum legs.

On the other hand, I agree that a lot of those double-coned lamps were seen in public buildings and coffee shops, but they were also used in residential homes, as well, probably on slight, smaller scale, but they were used. As far a "lets-have-fun" look...I really wish you wouldn't catagorize those lamps using that term that so many of thoses antique dealers out in Palm Springs use when describing what they have hanging in their homes or shops, such as ballerina wall decore and lamp bases. You know...the same kind of guys that have cool, atomic, trapazoidal picture frames with their Madonna, Cher and Liza Minelli photo collections in them. :wink:

Here's a great example of that "let's-have-fun" look. I saw this and about puked. This really puts the G in gawdy. I'd rather have my place in that plain designer look before I'd do this to it.

http://www.daeoriginals.com/house/

tikiyaki

Postby tikiyaki » Sat May 07, 2005 8:45 am

the50sguy wrote:
Here's a great example of that "let's-have-fun" look. I saw this and about puked. This really puts the G in gawdy. I'd rather have my place in that plain designer look before I'd do this to it.

http://www.daeoriginals.com/house/

Funny how she had I love Lucy on the TV. Me and a friend refer to that particular 50's style as "I love Lucy style" .
Yea, a bit much for everyday living. An "A" for effort tho'. Looks kinda like a set designer did it for use as a TV set, not an actual living space...the painted stone wall, the exaggerated colors...very TV set kitsch.
I do like the room divider in the living room, and actually designed asimilar on in that it was supported with tension poles, but the screen was to be made of wood and not pink.

See link

http://photobucket.com/albums/y39/tikiy ... IVIDER.jpg

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat May 07, 2005 9:26 am

So, we can all agree that there are differing modes of mid-century design, and that each of us perhaps has a favorite among the options, while appreciating the others "at arm's length" (if you will)?

And, "de gustibus non disputandem est" -- "there's no arguing about taste" !

My only plea, and continuing goal, is for collectors and users of ANY design "school" to become ever more aware of the true history of their favorite subject, the better to be able to replicate it in all its glory.

I suppose even the spoof 'I Love Lucy' variant has its place -- I suppose; ANYTHING can be well or poorly done!

SDR

the50sguy
Modern Socialite

Postby the50sguy » Sat May 07, 2005 10:03 am

Funny how she had I love Lucy on the TV

The person that owns and decorated that place is a "he," not a "she." :roll:

I think it's plain overkill on the pink. He ruined some real nice wood pieces with that feakin' pink paint. Sorry, I know "to each his own," but that is just a plain nightmare. In fact, it's just plain scary.

tikiyaki

Postby tikiyaki » Sat May 07, 2005 1:07 pm

the50sguy wrote:
Funny how she had I love Lucy on the TV

The person that owns and decorated that place is a "he," not a "she." :roll:

Oops...my bad (':oops:')

the50sguy
Modern Socialite

Postby the50sguy » Sat May 07, 2005 2:39 pm

Yeah..."oops" is right, but I don't blame you. I thought it was a chick's place until I clicked on the "about me" option on the site and got a big surprise myself. Here, check out the "guest room" below. This has to be the worst room in the whole house. I guess this what you would consider "fun" 50's....and look...no double-coned sconces on the walls in this house. LOL!

Crap! What the hell was this guy thinking?!!! This also shows just how bad mis-matched decorating can look. There's no other way to explain it other than it looks like a freakin' Harlem nightmare in the middle of West Hollywood!

jenkinshouse
Modern Master

Postby jenkinshouse » Sat May 07, 2005 6:51 pm

I am worried that those cans are a bit big. They had a 5x14 double lamp version but it's plastic/white instead of aluminum.

I'll look for the other brand you mentioned, thanks.

My can light is definitely 50's though. And money willing the Knoll Sofa will be in the Living Room while the can lights will be in other rooms...

Jason

jenkinshouse
Modern Master

Postby jenkinshouse » Sat May 07, 2005 7:06 pm

The only McPhilben lights I found were 7.5"x12", even bigger than the 6x12 Progress lights I was considering.
If you find these in a smaller size (6x9 or 5x8) let me know.
Thanks,
Jason

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat May 07, 2005 7:09 pm

Jason -- Yeah, I like the form but haven't focused on the size. They must be proportioned for large, maybe commercial environments. For a 9' ceiling I could see 10" on the ceiling and 14" max for a wall up/down light -- you think?

50sguy -- Lighten up -- nobody's taking that as a serious decore formula. As one guy's "vision," it's a hoot. Actually, that's my favorite room, for the controlled and "hot" color scheme. Home theater takes on a new meaning! You wouldn't do that in your house, and neither would I.

SDR

the50sguy
Modern Socialite

Postby the50sguy » Sat May 07, 2005 10:20 pm

SDR...yeah, you're right. I did go on a tangent there and I do tend to get on my soapbox once in a while, especially when I see that or if someone has been misguided thinking that if they do their house in "malt shop" 50's that they have captured the true era. You are right about that neither one of us would do our places like that. Besides, he has to go home to that and if that's what sends him, so be it.

Below is a house that I saw on a home tour that we have here in Pomona every October. This was the first and only mid-century home on the tour. The rest were "turn of the century."

The house was one of the many homes built in that Westmont tract in 1954. I forgot who the designer was, but he was well known for that style. Maybe someone here knows. Anyway, this is probably the only home in the tract that is still in it's original condition and hasn't been Tijuanaized (cheap stucco overlay, Home Depot aluminum windows w/bars over them, gawdy, bright colors on the exterior...etc) like the surrounding homes on his block. It's sad to see so many of these homes giving way to that "South of the border" look.

This is the entrance

The living room. Not real crazy about the plastic furniture nor the Lego wall in the background.

Cool kitchen except for the blender collection along the counter. Gives it kind of a museum look, rather than "someone lives there" feel. There's that freakin' pink wall again. :?

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”