See 2025 Los Angeles in The Island (Free) August 22

Pop culture events, tours, openings, shows, parties, monthly meetings and meetups

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

See 2025 Los Angeles in The Island (Free) August 22

Postby nichols » Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:03 pm

2005 DIGITAL SCREENING SERIES
â€￾THE ISLANDâ€￾

The Entertainment Technology Center at USC’s Digital Cinema Laboratory continues its series of digitally presented motion pictures. Our next screening is “THE ISLANDâ€￾ (digital release courtesy of DreamWorks Pictures and Warner Bros.). The screening will be held on Monday, August 22, 2005 at 7:00 PM. at the Lab’s historic Pacific Theater location -- 6433 Hollywood Blvd., between Wilcox Ave. and Cahuenga Blvd.

Q&A:  In addition to the following speakers, the Q&A will include a brief screening of selected scenes from THE ISLAND in a “butterfly configurationâ€￾ comparing a release print made from the DI negative with the digital screening master file.

Guest speakers: 

Mike Chiado, Director of Engineering, CO3 NY/LA

Steven B. Cohen, VP Features Services, Ascent Media

Carrie Holechek, Executive Producer Digital Intermediate, CO3

Rainer Knebel, VP Digital Intermediate Services, Ascent Media

Chris Wagner, Editor “The Islandâ€￾

Eric Brevig, VFX Supervisor, Industrial Light & Magic

Admission is free, but limited to film and television union and guild members, entertainment company employees and film teachers & students, accompanied by one guest.  Please no one under 17 permitted.  Attendees can register for the screenings by logging onto etcenter.org/Seminars.asp.  Proof of professional and/or business affiliation (guild or union card, business card, student/faculty ID, etc.) must be presented at the night of the screening.

Velas
Modern Master

Postby Velas » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:33 am

But what about the year 2046, eh?
ww.panoramaonview.org

ch
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby ch » Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:12 pm

So how was the movie? According to the still, it looks like they're predicting a revival of bomber jackets and Britney Spears-type tresses as fashionable street wear 20 year hence.

I don't think anyone can ever really get future-fashions correct - too unpredictable. Like in the 30s where they has us all in jumpsuits or capes. They never saw leisure suits or skanky tattoos coming...

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:45 pm

Craig wrote: I don't think anyone can ever really get future-fashions correct - too unpredictable. Like in the 30s where they has us all in jumpsuits or capes. They never saw leisure suits or skanky tattoos coming...

If they were smart, they'd just have everybody walking around naked.

On the other hand, that would raise other questions: will body implants/augmentations decrease, increase, or stay the same? (Star Trek seems to have taken the position that implants/augmentation will continue.) What's the future of tattoos (if any)? Will we get holographic tattoos? (A 3-D skull portruding from your arm.)

Did anyone see John Carpenter's Ghosts of Mars (2001)? The creatures in that were severely self-mutiliated and tattooed. I predict someday people will look back on that film and say: "Wow, they were dead-on in terms of fashion! Everything else in the movie was innacurate, but the fashions were prophetic."
"If we cannot imagine utopia--if we do not involve ourselves in imagining it--we are certain not to realize it." -- Judith Lewis, LA Weekly, September, 2002

Return to “Modern Calendar of Events”