Franciscan Starburst

Show your stuff or ask questions about housewares, ephemera, books, artwork, furnishings.

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
FranklinHills
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Franciscan Starburst

Postby FranklinHills » Wed Sep 18, 2002 9:52 am

Any one collect Franciscan Starburst? I started a few years ago and am obsessed! I've never met a fellow collector but I KNOW you're out there because someone is driving the prices up, up up!!!

If you don't know what it is, check out:
http://www.modish.net/gallery/dinner2.html

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Mon Sep 30, 2002 8:29 pm

Adriene
Modern Master

Postby Adriene » Tue Oct 08, 2002 10:35 pm

Melinamade provided the Starburst-inspired fabric called 'Atomicburst White' for those Tomorrowland chairs. See it here in 'Swatch-o-Vision'!!

http://www.melinamade.com/Fabrics/swatch11.html

TikiGoddess
Modern Groupie

Franciscan Starburst

Postby TikiGoddess » Fri Nov 08, 2002 6:42 am

I aspire to collect this pattern. I only have one piece, a platter I got at a thrift store for around $1.00. I have never even seen this stuff for sale anywhere. I do have an almost complete set of similar dishes called Taylorstone "Cathay".
Born Too Late!

FranklinHills
Modern Socialite

Postby FranklinHills » Fri Nov 08, 2002 3:29 pm

I too collect Taylorstone Cathay, as well as Temporama. But neither of those collections are as large as my Starburst collection. They're more of a diversion. I'm working on it, though!

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Fri Nov 08, 2002 3:35 pm

do you have pics of these other 2 patterns? are they atomic age looking?

TikiGoddess
Modern Groupie

Franciscan Starburst

Postby TikiGoddess » Sun Nov 10, 2002 8:08 am

Forgive my computer ignorance but I have no idea how to show you a photo of Taylorstone "Cathay". But yes, its pretty atomic age looking. The dishes are an offwhite color with a border on the outside in green and blue. The design on the border consist of about 4 different things that repeat over and over. There is a leaf, an atomic looking starburst thing, then a set of funky little squares and then a thing that looks like a "V". I know thats not a great description but maybe you can get the idea.
Born Too Late!

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Sun Nov 10, 2002 2:46 pm

Towards the bottom of the Quick help page are instructions...
http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/help.shtml

If you feel a bit unsure at first doing it... use the Test Message forum and test it our a few time first! That's what that area is for - for making as many junk posts as you need to get the feel of how to post, use smiles, change color of text, post pictures or links or whatever you way to try out before making an "official" post 8)

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewforum.php?f=8

That pattern sound excellent and I can't wait to see it! If you don't have the facilities to post pictures - you can always post a link to a site that does!

TikiGoddess
Modern Groupie

Franciscan Starburst

Postby TikiGoddess » Sun Nov 10, 2002 4:09 pm

Thank you for the info about posting photos! In the meantime I'll send you to ebay to search "Taylorstone Cathay" and several examples will come up. www.ebay.com
Born Too Late!

ValleyModern
Modern Master

Starburst tiles

Postby ValleyModern » Sun Mar 09, 2003 4:40 pm

Adriene
Modern Master

Postby Adriene » Mon Mar 10, 2003 12:40 am

I only seem to run into them on rare occasions. Once at the Rose Bowl and at a few modernism shows. Usually around $50 apiece though...

Paul
Modern Fan

Postby Paul » Tue Mar 25, 2003 6:44 am

All Franciscan ware is very collectable. Some years ago we were able to get a setting of the original Franciscan Ivy dishes actually used on I Love Lucy set in the 50's. (We have them framed in a shadow box.) We liked them so much we started collecting Ivy on e-bay and now have a large set of it that we use every day. I saw some new repros of the Ivy pattern at Macy's recently, they're not exactly the same as the original ones. Haven't seen them reproduce the starburst pattern yet but it would be great if they did. The Ivy is nice but definitely not as retro looking as the starburst pattern.

modernism
Modern Groupie

Starburst... ceramic tile

Postby modernism » Sun Jul 27, 2003 1:24 pm

SpudGirl
Modern Master

Postby SpudGirl » Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:49 pm

Ok, I'm not really into collecting china, but I bought a Franciscan bowl at the Salvation Army. It has a chip on the rim, but it's in pretty good shape. On the back it says " Franciscan Whitestone Ware" and " Swing Time" - I'm guessing Swing Time is the name of the pattern. I tried finding something on Ebay and NOTHING came up under Franciscan Swing Time. Does anyone have any information on this pattern, cause I'd like to collect more. Thanks :-)

Spudgirl

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Re: Starburst... ceramic tile

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:30 pm

sumu
Modern Master

Starburst luv

Postby sumu » Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:08 pm

I picked up a setting for 8 about 15 years ago. The set included alot of extras, like large platter, cream and sugar, salt and pepper, etc. Not only is it cool, it is durable. We have used this set everyday since, and it still hasn't got any chips. I still see pieces here and there, and I continue to add to it - prolly have enuf for 10 - 12 folks now. It's got an enduring quality. Wouldn't trade it for all the Lennox in the world.

I suspect it's retained it's good condition because I don't have a dishwasher, so all the pieces look new.

morbank
Modern Master

Postby morbank » Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:16 pm

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:48 pm

Caledonia
Modern Socialite

Postby Caledonia » Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:11 am

minx
Modern Master

Postby minx » Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:18 am

Caledonia
Modern Socialite

Postby Caledonia » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:26 am

http://www.gmcb.com/franciscan/html/lib ... Safety.htm

This link has info about lead in Starburst. Somewhat reassuring, but it doesn't hurt to be careful regarding acidic foods and etc.

SpudGirl
Modern Master

Postby SpudGirl » Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:53 pm

On Good Eats (Food Network, check your local listings), I've seen Alton Brown use the Franciscan Starburst plates at least three times so far....so I'm glad someone on the Food Network has some taste (pun FULLY intended)... :cheers:

Spudgirl

sumu
Modern Master

alternatives to starburst

Postby sumu » Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:15 pm

Franciscan made several patterns that used the same basic plate shape. Autumn is a pattern that has leaves instead of the starburst. There was another pattern that had a simple modern 'weed' or dandilion motif. All the dishes have a very modern feel, but the lesser known patterns tend to be cheaper and very available on ebay.

jva
Modern Socialite

Postby jva » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:56 pm

jva
Modern Socialite

Postby jva » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:58 pm

lasvegaslynn
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Starburst

Postby lasvegaslynn » Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:03 am

There's an entire set of this for sale in an antique store in Cambria.
Lynn in Sherman Oaks

www.classiclasvegas.squarespace.com (blog)

www.classiclasvegas.com (website)

Return to “Modern Collectibles and Furniture”