The Continental Theater, Oklahoma City 1965

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
robbhouston
Special Secret Modern Agent

The Continental Theater, Oklahoma City 1965

Postby robbhouston » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:36 am

Hey all,

I was on a working trip this past weekend and stayed at a hotel in Oklahoma City. From the window of my brand new Marriott high-rise, I noticed an interesting 60s'esk, modern looking structure just behind the brand new mega sized Borders super book store. From the 15th floor, it looked like some kind of state building or over sized bank. I went and explored and found it was a very large boarded up theater, in a severe state of decay.

The front, which appeared to have been mostly glass originally is now covered in rotting plywood sheets, home to dozens of pigeons. Modern concrete and steel benches line the outdoor spaces, still perfectly straight and sturdy, although aged and discolored. Thru a hole I could see the large interior entrance area, which must have really been something when new. The word 'Continental' stands along the top front edge of the roof line.

I did some Google searching and found the place is the Continental Theater. Built in the early-mid 60s, closed sometime in the 80s. Didn't have my camera on me to photograph at the time, but here are a couple of links to old and new photos....

http://cinerama.topcities.com/ctcontinental.htm
http://www.cinematour.com/tour.php?db=us&id=22388

And a thread regarding it on Cinema Treasures...

http://cinematreasures.org/theater/10828/

Neat old place. Fun to explore. Sad to see it in such a state.

--Robb

Synthetrix
Modern Master

Postby Synthetrix » Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:33 pm

Synthetrix Photos of the Forgotten
http://photosoftheforgotten.synthetrix.com/

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Lynxwiler » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:51 am

classicsat
Modern Socialite

Postby classicsat » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:10 am

New York - Leeds- Los Angeles - San Francisco - Toronto
Wherever Google Earth takes me.

Kimba
Modern Master

Postby Kimba » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:52 pm

WOW! I love reading the article regarding it's debut! What a beautiful building ~ and another sad story of the end...
"This world has nothing for me, and this world has everything. All that I could want, and nothing that I need."

retrOKC
Modern Socialite

Postby retrOKC » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:52 pm

Note the graffiti on that one pillar, the face.

All that was left when I noticed that they had torn it down.

Mike

Action movie fans, we need your help!

So_Cal_Native_in_Texas
Modern Master

Postby So_Cal_Native_in_Texas » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:35 pm

Apparently it closed in 1983.

Another reason to hate the 80s.
|

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”