Valley Village Apts. To Be Demolished

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: Java, I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols

Forum Friend
Modern Groupie

Valley Village Apts. To Be Demolished

Postby Forum Friend » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:12 pm

The new owner of these apartment buildings on Albers Street, in the Valley Village section of North Hollywood, is very open about his plans to evict the tenants, demolish the buildings, and construct new condos.

The Bahia
12005 Albers Street, Valley Village
Year Built: 1959
Number of Units: 23
Architect: Not listed on original building permit

Stevenson Apartments
11945 - 11963 Albers Street, Valley Village
Year Built: 1949
Number of Units: 36
Architect: Ulrich Plaut

I have photos of other threatened apartment buildings in the neighborhood. (Is it okay to post photos of Colonial style apartments on this forum!?!)

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:50 am

yes, "forum friend" of course it's ok to post them as they come from our MidMod time period - now if you were posting 200 year old apartments from Williamsburg, VA - that would be another thing.

by the way - please be more specific about where you are from. it would be a forum friendly thing to do ;)
I'm gonna keep on the run... I'm gonna have me some fun if it costs me my very last dime.
If I wind up broke up, well, I'll always remember that I had a swingin' time

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:51 am

and man - i hope someone saves the dingbat before it hits the trash.
I'm gonna keep on the run... I'm gonna have me some fun if it costs me my very last dime.

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

And it looks

Postby modfan » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:34 am

like the just installed those thermopane windows.
Too bad they can't put up something similar. Probably will put up a faux Tuscan blocky looking monstrousity. Kinda Sad. Yep someone save the dingbat before the bldg. is demo'd.

Forum Friend
Modern Groupie

Save More Than Type

Postby Forum Friend » Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:27 pm

When I've heard the term "dingbat" referring to apartment buildings, it referred to the entire buildings. And the Lotta Living definition says: "term derived from typographic characters that extend beyond the normal alphabet: +@#* and used to describe buildings (usually apartments) that sport characters and symbols as decorative elements".

However, the context of these posts: "Yep someone save the dingbat before the bldg. is demo'd." and "and man - i hope someone saves the dingbat before it hits the trash", suggest your concern is only the typographic characters and not the entire building.

I prefer to see entire buildings like The Bahia saved.

Forum Friend
Modern Groupie

Correction

Postby Forum Friend » Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:36 pm

I mean La Bahia, not The Bahia.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:33 am

none of us meant no disrepespect to either building - i think you will find that everyone on this board LOVES this kind of place. They are important contributing structures to our communities.

so of course we care about the buildings. i guess we all get a little jaded about stuff like this and tend to assume the worst... unless there is a significant architect behind them or some other qualifying factor to help with doing a historic nomination, it is difficult to make the case for saving such apartments.

is there a chance to save these apartments? i don't know? if there is - perhaps we can coach you along on your preservation quest. otherwise - i hate to break any expectations - but there is no one 'person' or 'entity' that can 'save the day' or in this case 'save the building.'

the l.a. conservancy and most other preservation community organizations really simply serve to provide backup for private individual citizens willing to go to bat to save a place. (rarely will LAC et al commit paid staff services to save a structure)

off the top of my head - i think of

Rebecca Goodman and her recent perseverance on the Brown Derby.
Chris Nichols and John English and the Downey McDonalds (and countless other buildings)
Daniel Paul and Bottle Village.
Doug Haines and the Cinerama Dome.
Michael Kiralla and Pasadena Bullocks Wilshire
me and my failed attempt to save the Woodland Hills Library and Burbank Machinists Lodge :(
Alan Lieb and the Gilmore Bank
Michael Palumbo and Amanda Seward for Lincoln Place
Tony Merchell and Peter Moruzzi and the Tramway Gas Station in Palm Springs
Adriene Biondo and Johnnies Broiler
please oh please we should really start a thread to recognize and appaud ALL the preservation efforts everyone has worked on

all of these folks were private individuals who felt strongly enough to do some footwork/research/writing/showing up at city meetings to support certain buildings AND asking the rest of us to send letters and sign petitions. but it's usually all on our time time and budget... that's basically how it works.
if it's any consolation - many of these individual efforts end quite successfully - and if not - you are that much more prepared for the next challenges.

but unfortunately the conclusion i personally jumped to in your case was that usually the best we can do as preservationists for your unique apartments is to thoroughly document the buildings on film and salvage as many of the unique architectural elements as possible. i.e dingbat signage, light fixtures, door handles, tile, etc. after reading that, i know it makes us sound like scavengers in a way - but for us anything is better than seeing EVERYthing hit the trash which so sadly often happens.

please keep us up to date on what's going on and good luck with whatever you decide. i have a special love for S.F. Valley dingbat AND colonial apartments.

the colonial ones actually look very much in the vein of Chase Knolls, Village Green, Lincoln Place - very "Garden City." maybe you could look up the architect /developer?

Forum Friend
Modern Groupie

Colonial Gardens

Postby Forum Friend » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:11 am

Thanks for the information about historic preservation efforts. Members of the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee recommended that I post this topic on this forum.

As for the colonial apartments you referred to, I assume you are referring to Colonial Gardens. Unfortunately, the architect is not listed on the original building permit.

The developer is trying to buy up all the apartment buildings on the north side of this Albers Street block. I can only imagine he has an assemblage in mind, for a massive new project. That is why Colonial Gardens is also threatened.

Colonial Gardens
12025 - 12031 Albers Street, Valley Village
Year Built: 1948
Number of Units: 16

Forum Friend
Modern Groupie

Update

Postby Forum Friend » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:55 pm

Ellis Act eviction notices were served to all tenants at La Bahia and at Stevenson Apartments on February 22. All tenants have been offered an extension to stay until February 2007, which means these buildings cannot be demolished until after then.

(For information on the Ellis Act, see www.ellisact.com . While the motive developers have for using the Ellis Act is to get rid of rent control, it is also leading to the demolition of many fine mid-century modern apartment buildings.)

Tenants at 11941 Albers Street, on the site east of Stevenson Apartments,. were also served eviction notices at the same time, and offered the same extension allowing them to stay until February 2007. I did not post photos of the apartment building at this address because it is not architecturally significant. However, it does fit the scale of La Bahia, Stevenson Apartments, and all the other apartment buildings on the block, whereas a new multi-residential structure undoubtedly will not.

All three properties were purchased on January 10. Schaffel Development Company is the landlord and property manager. (See www.schaffeldevelopment.com/index.html ) However, he has told tenants that he is "not one of the major partners" in the LLC that owns the three properties. County documents show Bryan P. Troxler as the primary investor/culprit here. (www.troxler.com/development/index.htm ) Troxler also signed the tentative tract map application with the city of Los Angeles Department of Planning for a 123-unit condo project on the three sites.

Forum Friend
Modern Groupie

Garden Apts For Sale Need Preservation-Oriented Buyer

Postby Forum Friend » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:37 pm

Colonial Gardens (see Mon Jan 23, 2006 posting) is listed for sale:

Property ID: 15186414
http://listing.loopnet.com/15186414

Property Description:
Condo Development Potential! Valley Village is a small and exclusive classic and very trendy Southern Califorina town near North Hollywood. It appears 30-35 condos can be built on this site (not guaranteed). Now operating as a series of well maintained apartment buildings- 16 units total.

Broadmoor Realty, Inc.
Michael Robinson
(562) 439-1000

Please, someone buy this property who is interested in preserving it! These apartments could be converted to condos, or maintained as rentals, rather than demolished for new construction.

Gary Schaffel's garden apartment property at 11927-33 Magnolia Blvd., Valley Village, CA 91607 is also listed for sale:

Property ID: 14760076
http://listing.loopnet.com/14760076

Property Description:
Great Valley Village location! Build 78 NEW UNITS! Price includes survey, approved soils report, APPROVED TENTATIVE TRACT MAP, APPROVED ARCHITECTURAL & STRUCTURAL PLANS. 200 Feet Frontage on Magnolia Blvd. The project is priced at $165/unit for the land. Units are selling in the area for over $400/Sqft.

Remax Commerical
Dan Drantch
(818) 205-2136

Hey, I know for a fact -- the tenative tract map is not really approved just yet. Another public hearing with the City Planning Commission is scheduled for August 23.

If the above links don't work, go to http://www.loopnet.com and search "12025-12031 Albers Street" and "Valley Village Condo Site".

Forum Friend
Modern Groupie

Listing for 11927-33 Magnolia Blvd. Pulled

Postby Forum Friend » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:14 pm

The listing for Gary Schaffel's garden apartment property at 11927-33 Magnolia Blvd., Valley Village, CA 91607 (http://listing.loopnet.com/14760076) has mysteriously been pulled.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”