Window Coverings

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

Stephen
Modern Guru

Window Coverings

Postby Stephen » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:10 am

Has anyone just decided to go without them?

Presently, in my house, I only have one window with any type of shade / blind / drape / louver on it...and it's the one window on the facade facing the street. Of course, both my bathroom windows are mistlite, but uncovered.

I understand some of the functional benefits of window coverings (heat reduction from sun) but it seems like some of the later modern homes don't really have a good way to integrate them. The earlier Van der Rohe's and Neutras have neat ways of hiding the untidy drape top in the ceiling but in my Cliff May is just looks like it wasn't designed for graceful window coverings in the windows. Same thing with Eichlers.

Stephen
http://cliffmay.blogspot.com

robbhouston
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby robbhouston » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:38 pm

Yeah, I love the way curtains dissappear into the ceiling in some MCMs. My solution was to add wooden valances to hide my curtain rods...

I still have temporary curtains up, but I'm pleased with the valances themselves.

Hope that's helpful.

--Robb

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:57 pm

just say no, stephen. a proper landscape plan can eliminate the need for covering up your windows. plus, covering up windows make a small house feel much smaller.

vintage photos of Cliff May homes like ours show roll up bamboo blinds and drapes for different window. Bedroom windows used curtains.

Also, we've talked a lot about window covering here, do use the search function to find old threads :wink:

robbhouston

Postby robbhouston » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:19 pm

Here's a couple of vintage Ernie Braun promo shots of Eichlers with curtains in living rooms....

I like the first better, since the flat roof and straight top windows seems a nicer fit for curtains. The second looks kinda sloppy, with the curtains stopping part way up the windows. It even looks like one of the curtain rings has come loose in that one?

--Robb

roxy500
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby roxy500 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:42 pm

No curtains for us - but sometimes the neighbor peers over the fence, looking in. I don't blame them. :D

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:40 pm

roxy500
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby roxy500 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:47 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:54 pm

"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:58 pm

classic form

Postby classic form » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:00 pm

If you ask me, there is nothing like curtains to class up the joint. When I think curtains, I think sophisticated, refined, tasteful, and dramatic. The ones we have are never closed, but, without them framing the view it just wouldn't be the same.

Last edited by classic form on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

roxy500
Modern Master

Postby roxy500 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:38 am

SDR, I think it's a sculptural masterpiece, too. There is an area of space behind the fireplace that we are trying to figure out a way to tuck a tv and couch back there. We've been using that area as a bar. Anyway, the previous owners said they'd had a contractor bid out CUTTING OFF THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE FIREPLACE because it "was only decorative". Thank goodness they didn't do that! The right lower side is missing a slate pad that matches the left. I found pieces of it in the yard when we were building the deck. Unfortunately I didn't find all of the pieces so we leave it as a weird wood-holder. This summer, I'll fill it with polished black river rocks or something since we don't use the fireplace in our nice Seattle summers.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:12 am

Cool -- I like the idea of the river rocks -- though it should be possible to find and have cut a piece of matching slate (well, close enough -- no two pieces of stone or wood are *perfectly* identical !) to put there, eventually. . .

If you wanted to take some pictures (and take dimensions ?) of the space behind, I'd love to play with what might go there to allow you to use the space as you want to -- I enjoy working with constricted space and making something cozy and well-defined. Maybe you've already posted pics of that space ? I forget where your original of photos are. . . Did you have plans of your house ?

SDR

roxy500
Modern Master

Postby roxy500 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:00 pm

There was a thread I started when I first found this board:

The third pic down is a pretty good representation of what is there. You can see other windows that we don't cover in other shots...

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:55 am

Thanks. So, I see the space in several shots (there's a painting hung on the back of the fireplace, and a surfboard is present, etc). One question: how wide is the space, from the back of the fireplace to the opposite wall ?

roxy500
Modern Master

Postby roxy500 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:55 am

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:14 pm

Life is one day at a time. . .?!

TV and couch. . .I'm thinking a built-in (?) L-shaped lounge in the corner, partially under the window -- so you're facing out into the space, while being "sheltered" by the chmney mass. Now where to put the TV ? It either has to be a flat-screen on the back of the chimney -- but I think that'll be at the wrong angle ? -- or a low double-faced cabinet as a peninsula from the wall, separating this cozy little space from the dining area. A TV can be in or on top of this cabinet.

Does that make any sense ?

SDR

roxy500
Modern Master

Postby roxy500 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:48 am

It totally makes sense - I love the idea of a built in L shaped couch! I have this great old interior design book from 1970 that has a section on conversation pits. We live near a place called "the friendly foam shop" that could potentially make all the cushions for us - a spendy proposition, though.

We just tore down a "pony wall" between the dining room and that area. It really opened up the area. When it gets a little brighter out I'll snap some shots. The furniture is still all over the place and not put back in the right spots yet.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:49 pm

I suppose it would be possible to mount a smaller-size flat-screen to a swing-out panel fastened to the chimney, near the dining room end and low enough to be viewed pleasantly from the new seating -- it would swing out to a good viewing angle, and back to flat against the brick when not in use. That would keep the area more open. . .?

Take it easy, and congratulations on the impending Blessed Event !

SDR

roxy500
Modern Master

Postby roxy500 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:06 am

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:33 am

*bump*...

wondering the same thing as we try to add a bit of light control to the bedrooms in our eichler (the living areas may stay open). on two of the more standard BR windows, rollershades will work well (simple, clean, modern)... however, in the MBR, there's not a window, but a sliding door. vertical blinds popped into mind for side-to-side access/ease, but my dad (who still wears pleated pants and loafers with tassels sans socks) turned his nose up at them when they came up in conversation (gotta love holiday visits).

thoughts? pix would be great... anyone?

robbhouston

Postby robbhouston » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:49 am

Hey there...and Happy New Year all,

I know I posted earlier about the use of valances and curtains, but...

Just thought I'd add that one nice thing with that approach is that the valance can extend beyond where the windows stop (to the sides, or even above), so that when they're closed you end up with a nice wall-to-wall/floor-to-cealing solid space of curtain...

http://0044f49.netsolhost.com/nashville ... en6_lg.jpg
http://0044f49.netsolhost.com/nashville ... ng9_lg.jpg

And if the fabric is not too thick, they almost go away completely when open....

http://0044f49.netsolhost.com/nashville ... ng5_lg.jpg

At night (when there's no back lighting coming thru) it looks that much cleaner. Kind of creates the illusion that there might even be a solid wall of glass behind those curtains too. Hey, it's nice to pretend sometimes... :)

http://0044f49.netsolhost.com/nashville ... _night.jpg

Hope that's helpful.

--Robb
http://www.nashvillemodern.com
A little website I created to showcase my home and other MCMs in and around the Nashville TN area.

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:21 am

Has anyone done any recent research on electrochromatic glass? I remember the technology came out a while ago so I'm wondering if it's become widely available / reasonably priced.
Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

denagirl
Modern Fan

Window Covering

Postby denagirl » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:37 pm

It's funny you ask about that, my husband and I were looking for this type of window for the front windows at our house so that we would not have to use any window coverings and in our research we found that they are not widely available. We checked with a couple local window and door companies and no major window companies carry them anymore. If I remember correctly Jeld-Wen was a company that made them for a while years ago but window company said they never took off because of the cost and they had issues with the technology.

I would still be interested in knowing if anyone else out there has differing info as we only made a few calls and would still be interested in them. We ended up going with cellular blinds that turned out pretty nice but the windows do need to be replaced as they used to be operational windows and have been painted shut (mulitple times) and are not tempered and with the windows being almost floor to ceiling I would like to replace with safer functional windows.

deagna
Modern Socialite

Postby deagna » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:55 am

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:37 am

Just came across these on another forum. Has anyone ever seen one of these Howard Miller "ribbon walls?" They remind me of vertical blinds...but the ability to do multiple colors intrigues me. Does anyone know if these were drawn like vertical blinds or if they were fixed. Either way, strikes me as a cool product.

lasquirrel
Modern Master

Postby lasquirrel » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:46 pm

we currently have roller blinds bamboo type and I HATE THEM! They cut off the window sooo as soon as our 6.5 foot wall gets built they are going to a new home :P So we will be down to ZERO curtains/blinds in the house. I love living w/ out curtains I feel like I live outdoors sometimes - one of our bedroom walls is entirely made of glass so we get this great view out into the pool area. ahhh living outdoors.... so my vote is NO BLINDS OR CURTAINS, although that could be the exhibitionist in me!
Sheryl

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:09 pm

I'm with you. You're ready for your first F L Wright. . .

But if you have to have them, I like Robb's wood valances, above.

SDR

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:38 pm

Actually, our Cliff Mays are like post & beam Usonians. Right down to being built on a grid. (32") All the posts are 62" on center. About now, some heavy drapes would seem a good idea. I'm freezing. In the rain it's like living in a tent. I just wish I could figure out how to approach my neighbor about his glow bomb porch lights. I have to have bedroom drapes. Luckily, his motion sensor floods are rarely on (and turn themselves off) as they shine right into my living room.

My bedroom drapes are hung on a taught wire system from Ikea.

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:32 am

I too have big expanses of glass in my home. The only windows I plan to cover in any way are those in the bedrooms. I like sleeping in a relatively dark room, and I don't really want my two little girls always waking up at the crack of dawn. I am now leaning towards fan pleat drapes from homespun

Recently received a sample of the ceiling mounted system and it is very nice and period appropriate

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:11 am

For my horizontal louvered windows, I'm using solar blinds in chocolate color from Hunter-Douglas, they are barely noticeable when up.

The large clerestory windows have insulated accordion blinds the recede to the ceiling, becoming virtually invisible when opened. Have to have them because of the large expanse of single-pane glass; it makes a difference in the hottest days of Summer and in the peak of the Winter.

For the large patio door and window, I'm currently using a very simple Crate & Barrel stainless rod with curtains made from a heavy-duty vintage fabric, but I'm planning to install the wall fan pleat curtains to minimize the air space between the glass and the curtains. This helps immobilize the air and provide better insulation properties.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”