Cabinet pulls

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Spass Noddle
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Cabinet pulls

Postby Spass Noddle » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:16 pm

I'm excited to have found this bulletin board - thanks for being here fellow funky lovers of authenticity.
My husband and I bought a 1955 ranch house in West Seattle from the original owners. They didn't change much in the 47 years they were here, so much is in original, well-maintained condition, including the kitchen and its cabinets. But the pulls are worn and rather boring (brass-plated over pot metal or something) and I'd like to replace them with something like brushed aluminum or nickel, but can't find anything that's 2 3/4" center-to-center (distance between the screw holes). Any suggestions for sources?

MoneyPitModern
Modern Master

Postby MoneyPitModern » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:50 pm

Not knowing if you're trying to replicate the existing style, I not sure exactly what you're look you're going for. I do know that 2 3/4" is an uncommon size. Colonial Bronze makes a satin chrome pull that is 2 3/4" center-to-center, if the appearance pleases you:

Handles Unlimited has some anodized aluminum pulls with a more rectangular profile, and in varying widths, that may work for you. I'm not sure if they will sell retail, but if you contact them, I'm sure they can direct you to a dealer in your area. I've also found that many "wholesale only" sources will sell to me if I offer to send them a cashier's check for payment in full before they ship.

If there is a contractor's hardware supply store in your area, they should be a good source to try. Also, 2 3/4" pulls are sometimes referred to by their metric equivalent of 70mm. Good luck with your hunt.

Welcome to the board, and congratulations on your new abode. Do you have any photos of it that you can share with us?

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:01 pm

consider refinishing your pulls in a finish you desire. Often cheaper than new ones. Do check out Rejuvenation for new pulls. I like there atomic line http://www.rejuvenation.com/fixshow3514 ... efd5a2b7b3

good to see another mid-century home owner from the NW. Welcome to LL!

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:03 pm

MPM you're a wonder ! Who wouldn't want the "Stanley wire" pull; it's a classic. (Architects called them "staples" at one time, I was told.)

Looks like 69.85 mm is even closer to 2 3/4" (as in your second link), verified by my trusty dual-scale tape measure -- highly recommended for translating those pesky digits.

I suppose you COULD mount two of the knobs shown above, side by side, SA. . .? Interesting idea, Joe !

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

synthetic space
Modern Master

Postby synthetic space » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:18 am

robbhouston
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby robbhouston » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:45 am

It might not be something you'd like to do (due to cost), but I had new cabinet doors and drawer fronts made for the kitchen, baths and living room built-ins that have a ridge that acts as the handle. Basically, there's no handle..

I'm in the process of shellacing about 30+ doors and drawer fronts....uggg!

BTW, I've discovered what many late 50s and early 60s modern'esk and/or ranch style homes used for stain (after much trial and error). It's Bullseye Amber Shellac! A dead ringer for all my wood work... :)

--Robb

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:18 am

Good work ! Nice doors. . .

I think Joe has alerted us to the use of shellac, as a coloring agent. Achieving/matching wood color can be a perticularly vexing problem. . .

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:04 am

robbhouston: as you know, birch darkens with age. It's difficult to tell what the original finish color was. I am guessing it was clear. I found Bullseye Amber Shellac matches a 50 year patina of birch. Good stuff and easy to apply. In my interior, I have centered the wood color palette based on the original 50 year old birch kitchen cabinets. To keep the consistency with new wood in other areas (island paneling, interior doors, trim around new window walls) I used the Bullseye Amber Shellac.

I learned about it from the Bond House (Neutra '60) restoration which they used Bullseye Amber Shellac to restore some shelving and paneling. I know some close to the project were not happy about it, but I think it worked and looks pretty good.

robbhouston

Postby robbhouston » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:34 am

Wow...what beautiful house....!

Around my interior there are several shades of the same basic color. I know a lot of it is birch, but there's also other woods. Also, different places have seen more and less light, smoke & dirt abuse, etc, etc...which can effect color.

I've used Bullseye Amber Shellac, as it seems the best match across the board. Have replaced a few interior bedroom doors with blank Lauan slabs. They take the shellac so well, it's hard to distinguish them from the originals. Have used stain grade pine to construct some new interior items like window valances and bathroom light boxes...

...and have found I can vary the number of coats of shellac to achieve different degrees of darkness, depending on what the new item will be next to.

I've really been pleased with the Bullseye product. Have gotten a lot better at applying it as well.. :)

--Robb

Spass Noddle
Modern Fan

Thanks for the education

Postby Spass Noddle » Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:58 pm

Hi -
Thanks for the responses to my question about cabinet pulls. I like Joe's idea to have them refinished. After looking at what's out there with that odd measurement, I'm thinking ours aren't so boring after all. When I get the nerve to post photos (and some decent ones to post), I will.
The enthusiastic discussions of MCM's led me to do all kinds of searching this week (the on-line and the soul-kind) and I've learned quite a bit.
Our 1955 house is, alas, not a modern and maybe not even a ranch, but is a Seattle "1950 Builder" style. It's got some cool features which I would not change, but knowing that we're not messing with an important architectural artifact, I don't feel so quilty about replacing the horrible leaking gummy moldy aluminum window frames. But I would never think about turning this into anything other than what it is (thankfully pretty darn close to what it was).
:cheers:

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:16 pm

johnnyapollo

Postby johnnyapollo » Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:15 am

The cabinet doors (and drawers) in my kitchen have bevel cut edges - about 30 degrees, so the larger side is outside of the cabinet. You can easily put a finger along this edge to open - however the original hardward also featured push-latches - you push lightly against the door and the door opens a couple of inches. In this way, you eliminate the hardware completely.

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

Spass Noddle
Modern Fan

A small photo of the cabinet pulls

Postby Spass Noddle » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:56 pm

Hi - I'm back but with a name change - thanks for responding with ideas. I'm technically challenged so have managed either to have only posted a small image of the cabinet pulls in my kitchen or have posted the entire photo album (my apologies). After doing some looking for replacements, I think I actually like the pulls enough to have them refinished instead of replacing them (plus I can't find any with this c. to c. that I like better). Any idea who does this sort of thing - where to look in the yellow pages (see - I'm a luddite but will get help soon)?

So, it's not a modern house, but it is a 50's house. If you can find the photo of the General Electric wall control for the cooktop in the photo album, I'm really interested in trying to find the cooktop that goes with it (there's a GE cooktop, but it's from the 80's or something & has it's own controls). Any ideas - I've not seen anything like it?

I also know that plum isn't a 50's exterior color, but the neighborhood needed some color and I like it behind the Japanese maple.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:00 am

looking good! Love the original touches in the house with the appliances and pink tiles! As you'll read on this board, I am a fan of pink tiles. Those pulls look great. refinishing would be easy.

Plum not so bad. works well with asian landscape. I approve!

Spass Noddle
Modern Fan

Don't laugh

Postby Spass Noddle » Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:32 am

Thanks Joe. I like the pink tile too. When we first saw the house, we sort of tailgated on someone else's tour with their agent. My husband asked the agent if we could take a quick look and she looked both ways and reluctantly and rather snidely whispered "I guess, as long as you don't laugh at anything". Ha ha - pink tile! Ha ha - ponderosa pine paneling downstairs! Ha ha ha ha. The other couple left quickly, but we stayed.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”