Stage set or real?

Burlesque beauties, pinup girls, vintage fashion, swanky suits, go-go boots, hairdoos,
cocktails, recipes, dancing, nostalgia and random retro lifestyle that a Space Age Atomic Age Bachelor might need to know about. Post War movies, television, broadway shows, music... exotica, lounge, cocktail, vocals, standards, space-age, swing, tiki, Modern Transportation, 1950s 1960s classic cars, monorails, scooters, trailers and trains, oh my...

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java, Matt Deckard

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Stage set or real?

Postby modfan » Mon Apr 21, 2003 6:35 am

On one of Turner's cable channels there was a movie shown called 'Three Wishes' with Patrick Swayze. There as a setting of mid-mod housing 'up in the hills' (like the Eichler Homes in San Mateo Highlands) only they weren't Eichlers. They all were painted pastels and had one car garages, they might have all been a stage set but it would have been a very large stage set. Anyone know if it was or is a real neighborhood or did it just exist for making the movie....

bananabobs
Modern Master

Postby bananabobs » Wed Apr 23, 2003 7:02 pm

I saw that too and wondered the same thing. The colors of the main players kitchen were great, as was her funiture. It was supposed to have taken place in 1955, I swear I saw some 1959 cars... I lived in a track just like that in Scottsdale AZ in 1958.

GaryR50
Modern Master

Postby GaryR50 » Sat May 03, 2003 8:28 pm

Gary
Modern Home Design
http://www.modern-home-design.com

modfan

I watched the movie again

Postby modfan » Sat May 15, 2004 11:09 am

It was on TBS last night-I taped it and watched parts in slo mo. I think it was just a backlot set-If it was a real subdivision built in the 50's it would have more mature landscaping and the houses would not be in 'original' condition that they were in the movie. The just special FX'ed the background to integrate it into the town in the panoramic shots. If it was was real-they woulda paid a mint to tear out mature landscaping and put in new and paint all the houses. But you must commend the movie for getting the setting down to the minute detail-the houses, cars, interior furnishings and the props-dishes, lamp, textiles and such were done well.
Dunno how well it did at the box office-I don't follow that stuff closely.

PlanetGlass
Modern Master

Postby PlanetGlass » Tue May 18, 2004 10:34 am

Hi,

I actually worked on that film (I was a studio executive at the time). From what I remember, it was a real location in California, but I'm not positive. I'm sure they repainted the chosen houses for the shoot - and relandscaped them. It looked way too elaborate to be a backlot - too many houses in the background.

BTW: the film lost money.

Laura
http://www.planetglass.net

Synthetrix
Modern Master

Movie tract houses

Postby Synthetrix » Wed May 19, 2004 7:33 pm

I oftened wondered the same thing about the neighborhood in "Edward Sissorhands". It looks so 50's with all the pastel houses. Was it a set, model or what?
V
Synthetrix Photos of the Forgotten
http://photosoftheforgotten.synthetrix.com/

modfan

I think if....

Postby modfan » Thu May 20, 2004 8:36 am

babyblue65bird
Modern Master

Postby babyblue65bird » Fri May 21, 2004 12:19 pm

...but the way cool MCM shopping center from Edward Scissorhands is alive and well in Lakeland, FL.

cv
Where are we going & what are we doing in this handbasket?

Return to “Everything Else and the Kitchen Sink”