Garage Doors?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Lowbrow
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Garage Doors?

Postby Lowbrow » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:43 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:32 pm

welcome lowbrow. Do use the search function of this site for past threads on garage doors. It has been a popular topic. The best way to make one from scratch. It will be nearly impossible to buy one "off the shelf." Keeping in the tradition of Mid-Century Modernism, garage doors look best when they match the homes siding.

I am sorry, I don't dig contemporary steel and glass doors found on fire stations. Not on a home built in the '50s or '60s. Maybe on a contemporary home designed in 2006 would be more appropriate.

Also, be aware of garage door companies. They almost always just want to sell you a door they have in stock. They don't care about design, either. You'll best DIY or hire a contractor to make what you need. It's not that hard. I did it a couple years ago while restoring the facade of my home... www.barthlow.com/beforeafter

As for metal roofs, what kind of roof in on now? Is your roof flat or pitched? If pitched, how steep? Do post up a photo.

sid
Modern Master

Postby sid » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:06 pm

Welcome Lowbrow!

Any picture posted would be helpful as this gang of MCM fans seem to resond well to photos and the folks here who really know will pluck some good details for you from the photos that you may have never noticed.

Details matter...
SID

MISSING my long and straight beams, stretching from the outside and piercing through the interior and back out again; seeing it all in one glance! WOW, it was gorgeous!

Lowbrow
Modern Groupie

Postby Lowbrow » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:39 pm

Thanks for the welcome.

I'll try to take some pictures soon... maybe after I close. :)

Here is a picture of the home in its original state but unfortunately not a good view of the garage... but you may spy something I dont next to that car in the right hand side. (thanks to michael brichford for the pic)

One thing I plan to do is return the trim to the color seen here. Right now the trim is the same color as the brick/stone.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:08 pm

cool house, lowbrow!

while I do like metal roofing (wide seam, silver), I would not recommend it on your roof. Your pitch looks rather low, maybe too low for metal. Maybe more images from different angles may say different. I would suggest tar & gravel with white rock, or a white-gray vinyl membrane roof.

What ever roofing you decide to go with, be sure minimal trim is used on the fascia. You want to maintain the appearance of the original fascia as much as possible. When painting it, do paint the roofing trim on the fascia the same color as the fascia so it blends better.

Lowbrow
Modern Groupie

Postby Lowbrow » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:10 am

I hadn't really thought of pitch as a problem. I thought I had seen some MCMs around town with almost completely flat roofs using metal. My roof is 7 years old (not too bad of condition) but we are planning on putting in at least one skylight (the kitchen looks like it was just meant for it) and dropping in some more modern wiring which is suggested to go through the roof. So since we plan on going through the roof anyways why not put on the roof we love on these MCMs.

Here is my roof pic:

Here are 2 of my favorite Houston MCMs with metal roofs:

1. The FLW Thraxton Residence:

2. The Jenkin's Cliffwood House:

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:16 am

you might be able to get away with it. I guess it's a little dryer in texas. I would opt for as wide a seam as possible. narrow seams look too busy. Also, you'll want to reflect the hot summer sun, so don't choose a dark color. Go with silver or light gray. With cathedral ceilings, you'll want to reflect as much sun light away as possible. If your roof was flat, I would suggest white, but since your roof is visible, a silver-gray color would be best.

My first choice would be tar & gravel with white rock, mixed sizes. Looks great, performs fine, and is inexpensive. Your home was originally built with a t&g roof. Metal roofs rust over time, but can be recoated.

Goffgirl
Modern Fan

Postby Goffgirl » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:56 pm

Lowbrow-
I've been a lurker to LL for a long time but when I saw your post I had to comment. We rebuilt our garage (our house is in Memorial Bend) and I went with a flush panel sectional door. With a larger budget I would have preferred a door that matched the cedar siding. I hope this helps.

Before:
[img][img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e400/Shinen-Kan/IMG_0069.jpg[/img]

After:

dentedvw
Modern Socialite

Postby dentedvw » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:29 pm

I can't tell the difference, I think it's because the door is so dark, and it is pretty far from the camera.
Got a closer shot?
I can only give you what I think you said you thought you wanted.

Goffgirl
Modern Fan

Postby Goffgirl » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:33 pm

Sorry about the pictures. It has been overcast today so I'll have to take another picture tomorrow. The only close-up I have is of the old garage door. Probably not what you wanted to see.
[/img]

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:43 pm

you know, the price you would pay for that door would have been close to having a contractor make a custom tipping door, faced with similar board and batten as the siding. rough t-111 with no groves and battens nailed down. A good look without horizontal lines, indeed.

If one just cannot get over making a custom door and must have a folding door, I would recommend a smooth, plain door. Absent of any decoration. painted the same color as the house.

Lowbrow
Modern Groupie

Goffgirl

Postby Lowbrow » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:08 pm

Thanks for the pics Goffgirl. Definately a nicer look. Thanks for the ideas.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:38 pm

"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

robbhouston
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby robbhouston » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:56 am

I was on a search for a single panel tilt-up style door and finally found a source. Here's the thread with the name, location and directions to the place...

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?p=27153

It was sheer luck that it was a drivable distance for me. I rented a trailor and drove all day to get that door. My carpenter/builder friend, who's helped me with all my renovations, thought I was nuts. But, to me, it was worth the trip. There's a shot of the door prior to install in the above thread. Here's one with it in place...

--Robb

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:23 am

Nice ! So, what is the siding and the door material; is it smooth T-111 ?

My memory is that the first years that this material was in use, the surface was not the rough-sawn texture often found today. Maybe someone else has the skinny on this ?

Thanks for the photo, Robb.

SDR :cheers:

robbhouston

Postby robbhouston » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:52 am

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:05 pm

robbhouston

Postby robbhouston » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:39 pm

Last edited by robbhouston on Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:14 pm

classic form

Postby classic form » Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:26 am

Robb, could you give the dimensions of the garage door (aluminum)material? Width of peaks and valleys and depth? Sorry if I missed this info elswhere. Still trying to match this stuff...

Thanks.

robbhouston

Postby robbhouston » Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:33 am

The raised area is 2.5" wide, the groove/trench is 3/4" wide and 3/8" deep...

BTW, this garage door is not a custom built job, but manufactured by Hormann...

http://www.hormann.us

Unfortunately, the tilt-up style (or "up-and-over" as I've learned they're called) are strictly a European thing....

http://www.hormann.co.uk/uk/en/

The US Hormann website only features sectional doors. At first, I even had a hard time finding literature on tilt-up doors in English, it was all in German! Finally did, here's a link to a PDF brochure I have on file...

http://0044f49.netsolhost.com/nashville ... nglish.pdf

The guy I bought the door from here in the states only had them because he'd bought out the stock of a company who was going out of business. Definitely had a limited supply. He was selling them for the bargain rate of $300 (but you must pick up the door yourself). I've no idea if there are any left.

--Robb

classic form

Postby classic form » Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:39 pm

Thanks for the specs. Doesn't quite match but this got me on my search again which brought me to this...

http://www.atas.com/fieldlockfln/

1/2" in 12 pitch minimum. Shocked me, didn't think you could go this flat with metal.

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:22 pm

[quote="classic form"
1/2" in 12 pitch minimum. Shocked me, didn't think you could go this flat with metal.[/quote]

I really would not recommend going to that low of a pitch with metal roofing, although the steel building industry does so regularly.

In climates where ice damming occurs, standing seam metal roofing is not recommended for use on pitches lower that 3:12 or 4:12 depending on what reference that you look at.

Chimay

Postby Chimay » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:03 pm

Friends don't let friends live in McMansions
House pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/88017382@N ... 387250721/

Lowbrow
Modern Groupie

Postby Lowbrow » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:26 am

I'm having a custom garage door builder out at my house tomorrow to see about matching my cedar siding. I'll update as things progress.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:29 am

sounds great, can't wait to see!

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”