looking for bathroom light-maybe even 1 w/a Japanese flair

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

happy modernists in MN
Modern Socialite

looking for bathroom light-maybe even 1 w/a Japanese flair

Postby happy modernists in MN » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:58 pm

If there is a post like this, I apologize in advance, please tell me where it is.
Hi there, I need some advice! My husband & I are fixing up our master bath a little bit and need to find a new light fixture, preferably not a flourescent one. We are going to hang a metal screen above the partition, and in the end, I hope that the bath has a slight Japanese feel to it. By the way, I'm going to ebay those crazy ugly Versace like undermount sinks! I don't think that they are original to the house. I hope someone has some ideas, I'm sick of HD, Blowes, Ikea & searching the internet. Haven't found anything reasonably priced that we like.
Thanks!

for more pix of our money pit go to my my space and click on more pix. I don't know if this link works, I just signed up for this madness and don't know quite how it all works.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... D=29127752

I like pink toilets, pink kitchens, lambretta sx200's and bianchinas.

robbhouston
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby robbhouston » Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:04 am

I put in a custom built light box. Mine was built from stainable wood. But you could also frame one in and drywall it, then paint or wall paper...

The house plans on which my home was based (BH&Gs Five Star No. 2809-A) actually had a light box in the bath, but the original builders put a fixture in instead. Not sure why? Interestingly, the fact that I wanted a light box was a pure coincidence, as I hadn't seen the BH&Gs plans until after I'd already planned it.

--Robb

PS: Got your email regarding the MCM homes on the Cumberland in the Lock 4 area just outside Nashville. I think I know the ones you mean. Cool flat roofs, lots of glass? My folks actually looked for houses to buy around there a couple years ago. Wish one of those had been for sale... :)

johnnyapollo

Postby johnnyapollo » Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:30 am

Hi Kristin,

I've seen Robb's boxed lighting first-hand and I believe they will fit the bill in your application nicely. The shellac really brings out the mellow color of the wood, ths square angles are very MCM, plus because of the handmade quality and overall design, very oriental.

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

Less=More
Modern Groupie

Postby Less=More » Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:28 pm

I just recently remodeled my guest bathroom and was on a quest for unique lighting. I found this fixture from http://www.brandlighting.com/ that I think is a nice blend of Japanese and Frank Lloyd Wright style. It uses 5 - 20 watt bulbs and diffuses really nice.
Good luck with your project!
(sorry about the bad picture)

happy modernists in MN
Modern Socialite

thanks!

Postby happy modernists in MN » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:03 pm

robbhouston

Postby robbhouston » Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:32 am

Hey there...

The obscure panels are thin acrylic sheets. They come 2'x4' and are about $8 each. The advantage over glass is you can cut them to size with an exact-o-knife. There were at least 3 or 4 other textures available were I got mine (Lowes). The top of the box is open, to allow light to shine at the ceiling, and for easy access to change out bulbs when needed. As you can see from the photos below, I went with flourescent. But I suppose you could put any kind of lights inside it you wanted. I also put a light box in my half bath...

Hope thats helpful.

--Robb

happy modernists in MN
Modern Socialite

Thanks Robb!

Postby happy modernists in MN » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:05 am

I totally want to make one of these things now. We took out some 6 foot flour. out of our indirect lighting in our living room, and between that and some spare lumber and a sheet of plexiglass (which I might sandblast??) we have laying around, it might just work! The only question now is if I should paint it the color of the wall, or cabinet, or if I should make the wood pretty looking. We don't have any "plain wood" in the bathroom. Hmm.....

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:28 pm

I think the natural wood has an Asian feel. I think a plain milky acrylic might be a better choice. For more choice than a big box store, look under "lighting plastics" in the phone book. Fluorescent lighting is more energy efficient and appropriate for task lighting. When you buy lamps they are sold by "color temperature" You will find that higher numbers, like over 4100k will be more like halogen. I found some lamps for a client's dressing area and closet that where 5600k I think. Really natural light. You may have to find a supplier that specializes in lamps to get the special stuff. Worth it for a bath.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”