Fresno Cliff Mays

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

Miguel
Special Secret Modern Agent
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Fresno Cliff Mays

Postby Miguel » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:31 am

Hey, Joe: finally found the area in Fresno where the Cliff Mays are located:

1960:

1961:

There are more... I'll add them up as I take the pictures.

The location is where I suspected... West of Van Ness Blvd (there's also a CM on Van Ness itself), off of W San Jose Avenue.

*** *** *** Forgot to give props to Eldon Daetweiler for supplying me a few locations of some CMs. Thanks, Eldon!*** *** ***
Last edited by Miguel on Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:09 pm

miguel, this is quite exciting! I am fairly certain about the second one being a CM. I need to see more pics of the first. that carport roof seems a bit high. we'll need to see more pics. the third one is really intriguing with the carport position. This looks like a quality subdivision. I guess I am stopping in Fresno my next trip down!

though I am puzzled by the years you mention. My latest record for May's prefab homes is 1956.

good job.

Miguel
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Miguel » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:27 pm

Thanks, J.

I'll try to get better pictures without coming accross like a stalker ;-) It seems like the area has a few CMs, most of them built to custom specs... that makes it more difficult to identify them because the plans are not exactly similar to that home in the second picture. I'll investigate and update the list with info on years built, etc (most of these seem to have been built in the early 60s).

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:58 am

Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:01 am

Well... we can't take it anymore... the revolution is coming!

Last edited by Miguel on Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:21 pm

get your hands off me you damn, dirty ape!

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:11 pm

BRING IT ON!!!

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:45 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:50 pm

look what stephen started :cry:

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:19 pm

Shut up, you miserable human scum!

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:41 pm

give me liberty, or give me death...

oh, wait, you already did. well, the top half of it.

Mixmaster Mulch
Modern Groupie

Fresno neighborhoods prone to mid-century modern homes?

Postby Mixmaster Mulch » Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:04 pm

Moving to Fresno next summer, husband moving ahead and we're trolling for future neighborhoods. Where are most of the mid-century mods in Fresno? We're coming from Riverside where we live in a ranch, and before that, a bungalow. Looking for a mid-century with the big glass indoors connected to outdoors feel. Advice on where to look? Trolling London Props MLS but don't see much now, just a few. Thanks.
Seeking advice re finding mid-century modern homes in Fresno, or larger Craftsman near Tower District. Have lived in Riverside bungalow and ranch styles.

Kimba
Modern Master

Postby Kimba » Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:51 pm

I lived in Fresno for over ten years. I was in the Tower District until 1996 because the crime in that area continued to increase. It's been ten years and I hope it's under control because I really loved living in that area!

Be careful where you move to in Fresno. When I left the northern part was safer, but the homes there are were new. I did live in a mod home for awhile off of Shields, east of Blackstone, that was very nice. There are pockets of nice homes all around :-)
"This world has nothing for me, and this world has everything. All that I could want, and nothing that I need."

Kimba
Modern Master

Postby Kimba » Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:52 pm

By the way, this has been quite an interesting thread! LOL!
"This world has nothing for me, and this world has everything. All that I could want, and nothing that I need."

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:51 pm

punagirl
Modern Fan

My Fresno scouting trip

Postby punagirl » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:27 pm

I just got back from a relocation scouting trip to Fresno ---- I was impressed. I thought it was very liveable and the neighborhoods I explored had some awesome houses. It was nothing like what my "L.A. sister and her friends described." Once we got back to LA from Freson we were given crappy reviews every time we mentioned the possibility of Fresno. I found that most of the people that had bad attitudes about Fresno have either never been there or haven't been there in 20 years!! One person could give no explaination about why they thought Fresno sucked other that "it's Fresno!!" We are planning another exploratory trip real soon. I'll have to write more later when I am not so jet lagged.

punagirl
Modern Fan

My Fresno scouting trip

Postby punagirl » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:28 pm

I just got back from a relocation scouting trip to Fresno ---- I was impressed. I thought it was very liveable and the neighborhoods I explored had some awesome houses. It was nothing like what my "L.A. sister and her friends described." Once we got back to LA from Freson we were given crappy reviews every time we mentioned the possibility of Fresno. I found that most of the people that had bad attitudes about Fresno have either never been there or haven't been there in 20 years!! One person could give no explaination about why they thought Fresno sucked other that "it's Fresno!!" We are planning another exploratory trip real soon. I'll have to write more later when I am not so jet lagged.

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:10 am

Cool, punagirl.

I'm glad you're not deterred from visiting Fresno and got a first-hand look at what this city is about. It's hard for some people to let go of that "Fresno sucks" state of mind... for some reason it's just ingrained in the California psiche... it's not justified.

Out of all the areas you saw, which one did you like best? Hope you come back again for a better look at the neighbourhoods... just let me know if you need further info on finding great MCM homes.

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:54 pm

1955 CM tract south of Fresno (all in one street in Selma):
Most homes are 3BD, 1BA and ~1,045 Sqft:
ImageImage

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:54 pm

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:47 pm

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:10 pm

Stephen Meade

SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749

Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect

http://www.OCModHomes.com

http://www.CliffMaySocal.com

and

Cliff May Homeowner

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:13 pm

BOXOUTBM

Postby BOXOUTBM » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:11 am

home_boy
Modern Master

Postby home_boy » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:37 am

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:29 am

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:19 pm

Finally took some pictures of the large Cliff May home in Selma, just off of S McCall Avenue:

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:30 pm

...and a few sad, but true pictures of the small prefabs in Aspen Street:
The part that puzzles me the most is that the owners covered the clerestory windows...

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:50 pm

that Selma house is really interesting. judging by the details, it appears to be a custom designed sometime in the late-'50s-'60s... OMG!!!

Miguel, you just discovered a replica of Mandalay! Seriously.

check the photos with the plan. to the left of the carport is a fireplace of the guest quarters. left of that is the entry. left of that is the main living area extending out. follow the main spine from the entry and you'll see the building continues to follow the Mandalay plan.

Holy cow!

Do get yourself a copy of the new Cliff May book coming out in a couple weeks. nice find!

As for the Aspen homes... unfortunately, when these homes were built, the home owners weren't organized like Eichler owners. Still, restorable for someone. Probably pretty cheap. Look like good opportunities for some flipping (the right way).

People cover glass-end gables because they think it will stop heat from entering the house. Actually, the opposite occurs. it blocks heat from escaping. I see it happen all the time. silly people.

fillmore
Modern Socialite

Postby fillmore » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:46 pm

unless the glass is operable, how does it allow heat to escape up top? i assume theyre trying to shade extra sun entering during the day?

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”