Drapes and curtains

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
PlanetGlass
Modern Master

Drapes and curtains

Postby PlanetGlass » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:06 pm

It's 90 degrees inside, and I live in a glass house. It's time for curtains.

Does anyone know who makes those quasi-industrial looking rollar shades that you see in a lot of offices and restaurants, that look as though they're made out of some kind of thin, lightweight woven metal? We have one huge window that wants a shade.

For the bedrooms, we want traditional floor to ceiling draperies, but hate the cheap looking tracks. I am considering a hospital type track, but can't find anything nice in that either. Does anyone know a good place to shop for options, and a good place to buy? I've been to a few places, but they don't get the Modern look.

Thanks,

Laura

robbhouston
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby robbhouston » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:01 pm

http://www.nashvillemodern.com
A little website I created to showcase my home and other MCMs in and around the Nashville TN area.

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby moderns-r-us » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:31 pm

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:36 pm

Last edited by moderns-r-us on Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bitzala
Modern Master

Postby bitzala » Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:09 pm

Hi, Laura--

There are two solar shade companies that fit your description to a T. (I asked the same question during a consult with an architect that specializes in MCM renovation). She recommended the same one that moderns-r-us listed (Silent Gliss), but said she favored Castek's Rollstar. http://www.castec.com/psss.htm

We are going with the latter and are in the process of getting measurements. If you call Castek, they'll give you the name of designers/companies in your area where you can order them.

bitzala

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:58 pm

in the past - i have used traverse rods - but they don't look that great when the draes are open.

i finally found drapery rods that work in a modern home - they are not traverse rods - just very minimalistic tracks that attach directly to the ceiling - it's what the hotels up here use.

they probably sell them at a local drapery supply store?

robbhouston
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby robbhouston » Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:01 pm

Regarding the use of traditional floor to ceiling curtains in your bedrooms, and/or in your living room....I needed to cover 18' of windows in my living room. Wanted to do it with two 9' curtains that would meet in the middle and slide freely all the way to the sides (basically go away when not in use). I used black metal plumbing pipes (I think they are 3/4") and the heaviest curtain brackets I could find (also black). Being all black, they actually didn't look bad exposed. But I proceeded with my original plan and put up wooden valances to hide the hardware...

I did the same thing in my kitchen. It was really inexpensive to do. I ended up using those metal shower curtain rings that have the ball-baring style beeds that roll, so the curtains slide super easy.

Hope those ideas help.

--Robb
Last edited by robbhouston on Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.nashvillemodern.com

A little website I created to showcase my home and other MCMs in and around the Nashville TN area.

MoneyPitModern
Modern Master

Postby MoneyPitModern » Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:20 pm

Check out the extruded aluminum ceiling track by FanPleat. It's only 1/4" high, and 3/4" deep, about as minimal as drapery rods/tracks can get. It was designed to work with FanPleat's own draperies, which stack back to 28" for a 16' wide window. That is especially good where there are no side walls on which to stack drapes, as in many of our modern homes.

They sell various textures of homespun 100% cotton drapery fabrics in 10' widths to minimize seams. FanPleat was around back in the 50s, and still makes draperies like they did then. FuturaGirl's idea to find vintage drapes at thrift stores and garage sales is a also good one. Even if one has to pay to have them resized, they're bound to be cheaper and more authentic than new. If you want to use pinch pleated drapes with the aluminum ceiling track, and most vintage drapes will be pinch pleats, FanPleat makes eye slides to hang them, too.

http://www.homespunfabrics.com/fanpleat.htm

PlanetGlass
Modern Master

Postby PlanetGlass » Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:58 pm

Thanks everyone. Those are some great resources. I'm going to contact each company to see what I can do.

Laura

chb
Modern Socialite

Postby chb » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:10 am

Laura,

You might check with Brad at Interior Services for your project. He came highly recommended by an architect friend, and I'm using him for a couple of rooms in my house. He seems very knowledgeable. I'm probably going with the Mechoshade to replace some ugly honeycomb coverings I put up in haste a few years ago. I have Mechoshade coverings in my office, and they're great. Brad also has access to Castec and other shade cloth manufacturers. Here's the contact info:

Interior Services
1614 E Washington Blvd
Pasadena

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:44 am

Reviving an old thread on a common topic -- how to cover those larger windows on MCMs.

As some of you may know, there are "Ikea Hacker" sites out and I saw this innovative "hack" today.

scowsa

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:15 pm

neither. thoughtfully planned landscaping instead :)

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:19 pm

While I agree that I'd rather look outside that at drapes, there are times when having an insulating layer over large expanses of glass is warranted.
Although I originally put up some drapes in my master to block the neighbors porch light (the bamboo has solved that problem now) I still pull them closed at night for warmth. Sometimes for privacy from the coming & goings of other family members (and their hangers on) through the courtyard at all hours.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”