Foothill Moderns Unite

Pop culture events, tours, openings, shows, parties, monthly meetings and meetups

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
bammer
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Foothill Moderns Unite

Postby bammer » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:03 pm

bammer
Modern Socialite

Exhibit Dates announced

Postby bammer » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:55 am

The exhibition, tentatively titled "Mid-20th Century Architecture in Sunland-Tujunga," will be at the Bolton Hall Museum in Tujunga from March 10- August 28, 2007. The opening reception is March 10th. Needless to say we need help with this. We want to make this event to as interactive as possible. Any ideas? We have a blog set up at http://foothillmoderns.blogspot.com/ where we'll post updates, etc.

scottkaycee
Modern Master

Lautner in Sunland

Postby scottkaycee » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:35 am

Isnt there a Lautner house in Sunland? A Circular design with steel truss roofs? Is it still around?
How about a career in Architecture? www.scottkirkcueto.blogspot.com

bammer
Modern Socialite

Postby bammer » Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:54 pm

Most definitely, we have some photos and articles about it. From what we hear there's been some renovation done, hopefully not too much. It's on our list of featured houses.

bammer
Modern Socialite

Postby bammer » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:04 am

We now have Lautner, Koenig and Neutra info on the blog. Check it out:

http://foothillmoderns.blogspot.com/

Ani Benglian
Modern Fan

MCM Architecture in Sunland/Tujunga Exhibit, Mar 10-Aug 28

Postby Ani Benglian » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:55 pm

Last edited by Ani Benglian on Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Josquin
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Exhibit

Postby Josquin » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:16 pm

"What is Mid-Century Modern? Who built these avant-garde homes? Who were the people daring enough to live in them? Foothill Moderns: Innovative Architecture in Mid-Century Sunland/Tujunga will explore world-class Atomic Age architects who built unique structures in Sunland/Tujunga. Richard Neutra, Pierre Koenig, John Lautner and Edward Weston are some of the well-known names who introduced radical new ideas in floor plan, materials and energy-efficiency through their work for local clients. Their experimental designs influenced countless imitators, among them, Victor Sease, infamous local developer of Tujunga’s Manzanita Slope Development and Descanso Tract."

Actually, the architects featured are Neutra, Koenig, Lautner and Eugene Weston. Featured are some photos from the Shulman collection now at the Getty Center.

bammer
Modern Socialite

Postby bammer » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:16 am

We've posted this separately under events, but wanted to make sure that everyone is aware of the Sunland-Tujunga Home Tour. Devil's house is featured, it's a great chance to check out the amazing things she's been doing, inside and outside and in-between. This year's tour is Sunday, May 6, from 10:30 a.m. until 4:00 p.m.; tickets are available through the Bolton Hall Museum, 10110 Commerce Avenue, Tujunga, California 91042
(818) 352-3420, in advance and on the morning of the tour.

We'll also be updating our exhibit at Bolton Hall. We've received so much info since we put it up, we could do a whole new exhibit!

r'n'r_beautyqueen
Modern Socialite

Postby r'n'r_beautyqueen » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:11 pm

Does the tour start at Bolton Hall? I'll be bringing a carload of friends who have never been to Tujunga before.

bammer
Modern Socialite

Postby bammer » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:06 pm

Yes, go to Bolton Hall first to puchase tickets and pick up maps. Looking forward to meeting the carload!

devildogranch
Modern Socialite

S-T Historic Home Tour

Postby devildogranch » Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:32 am

Yikes... just coming up for air - I cannot believe I agreed to have my home on the tour - LOL!

Looking forward to meeting you, r'n'r_beautyqueen! Hope to meet a lot of others from this board, as well. Bammer, josquin, Ani and I will be docents at my home, so, don't be shy... please introduce yourselves if you come by!

By the way, they've just done some major brush clearance (and tree butchering) at the Scott House (one of Pierre Koenig's first residential commissions), so you can see it really well right now from 2 sides. It's at the end of my block. A bonus for those on the tour!

r'n'r_beautyqueen
Modern Socialite

Postby r'n'r_beautyqueen » Wed May 02, 2007 10:57 am

Yes, Devil Dog I meant to introduce myself at the lecture, but I was caught up in conversation until the lime sherbet punch had run dry.

Return to “Modern Calendar of Events”