vinyl window blues (from white?)

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
PortlandModern
Modern Socialite

vinyl window blues (from white?)

Postby PortlandModern » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:29 pm

myronx19
Modern Fan

vinyl..

Postby myronx19 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:25 pm

I've had some quotes on different colours of vinyl windows and it wasn't any more expensive!! The rep at Home Depot told me one line they sell didn't have a price difference between molded in colour vinyl windows, PAINTED was much much more expensive. One other company was 10% more expensive, and they only have a limited colour selection in vinyl because dark colours tend to attract sunlight and warp/distort.

You can also look at fiberglass windows. They are slightly more expensive than vinyl, much better overall.

I'm about to replace my windows in my MC-sidesplit. I don't want white either, and no, I don't want to blow my entire budget on windows...

I'm thinking of going SandStone, which will blend well with my stone work.

Vinyl windows look real shiny when new, and they will fade within a year or two to a very dull colour.. They look better when they age, less "cheap".

BTW: I haven't decided who I am going to hire, nor what type of window.. I need to find a real good installer in Toronto before I go ahead with this.
Myron Samila
Toronto, ON Canada

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby egads » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:34 pm

Tommy Silva on This Old House had some rule about not using vinyl widows over a certain size. They just expand and contract too much and don't hold their shape. I'm sure a search of their website would reveal what that size was.

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Re: vinyl window blues (from white?)

Postby moderns-r-us » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:47 pm

"Better Living Through Modernism"

robbhouston
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby robbhouston » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:41 pm

http://www.nashvillemodern.com
A little website I created to showcase my home and other MCMs in and around the Nashville TN area.

tg
Modern Fan

Postby tg » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:55 pm

I'm glad this topic came up because I'm planning on replacing the windows in my house next year, and vinyl is one of the options I'm considering. My main priority is energy efficiency at an affordable price, but I also want my new windows to improve my view. A previous owner of my house installed vinyl sliding glass doors, and I'm too much of a Ready Made kind of person to tear out perfectly functional, plain/straight line doors just because they're made of vinyl. Adding windows that match those doors and accomplish the goals above isn't a stretch.

I have to agree with robbhouston. If you own an architectually significant house or are purist or just feel like vinyl windows will ruin the look of your place, then don't do it. If none of those things apply, go ahead and consider them. Personally, I don't dread vinyl windows--to me, they are a good combination of price/performance, and can be used in good and bad ways.

I'm really happy to have read and seen robbhoustons post & pictures, because it just confirms what I was feeling. (You did a nice job with the house, BTW).

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:12 pm

the reason they look fine in robbhouston's house is because white is a main color he has chosen in his scheme. if his main colors were moss green and chocolate brown, I think most people would have a different opinion. Now, if you want a two color scheme which doesn't use white, and your choice is white vinyl windows, you then have a three color scheme, which isn't right for a mid-century home (front door doesn't count). Instead, you take on a color scheme resembling a victorian or craftsman house, or even worse, something new today :?

I suggest if you are going with vinyl windows, choose a color you can live with as a body color for the home. A neighbor of mine did this on a Cliff May and it looks fine. Also, look for the thinest sash profile you can find. I simply replaced my single pane glass with double and it was easier and less expensive. Do look at that option first before ripping out original windows.

Only use vinyl for windows which need to open. stationary glass can just be insulated cut glass, glazed in with glazing compound or wood stops, which you can paint.

Oh, and more importantly, beware of wicked window salesmen selling you stuff you don't need or want, or telling you something can't be done. remember, most of them just want to sell you product and don't care or understand mcm design :wink:

myronx19
Modern Fan

Postby myronx19 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:25 pm

Hi Joe,

Vinyl windows are available in a whole lot more colours than just 3.

Some of the colours aren't nice.. true... but some are quite decent.

Fiberglass is a good alternative, not much more expensive than vinyl.. and are painted to suit, INCLUDING natural clear anodized aluminum look (like commercial windows).

Wood.. Loewen make great windows, expensive, but real nice..
Myron Samila

Toronto, ON Canada

PortlandModern
Modern Socialite

Postby PortlandModern » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:10 pm

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:12 pm

robbhouston

Postby robbhouston » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:29 pm

A little website I created to showcase my home and other MCMs in and around the Nashville TN area.

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:31 am

robbhouston

Postby robbhouston » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:08 am

BOXOUTBM

Postby BOXOUTBM » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:42 am

TOMINOC
Modern Fan

Postby TOMINOC » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:03 am

Elsewhere on the site are pics of my newly built mcm inspired home--i looked at a lot of window options and quite frankly the best looking (Anodized aluminium) was alas the most expensive-VERY expensive. As i was on a tight budget i used vinyl with custom commercial made white aluminium for the front windows. I agree if you are restoring a classic then you need to bite the bullet and pay$$$...otherwise vinyl is the logical alternative.

tg
Modern Fan

Postby tg » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:36 pm

For those of you who have vinyl or fiberglass replacement windows, would you mind sharing the brand that you used? Two options that are interesting me are the Gorell vinyls and the Pella Impervia fiberglass, but I'm still open to other brands as long as I can get a reliable installer when using them.

Jerad
Modern Master

Postby Jerad » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:35 am

I've held back on this topic for a while now, but here goes nothing. I've also recently replaced all of my windows with the dreaded vinyl. I couldn't be happier with my selection. If I had nice aluminum windows to begin with things may have gone differently. I had some 50yr old wood awning windows that were held together with caulk and paint. I had several that litterally fell off the house in the process of removing them. Vinyl was definately the cheaper alternative, I priced out insulated units to just upgrade my glass but the insulated glass itself was more expensive than my vinyl windows. I ended up paying just over $200 on average for an operable window. I'm happy with the profile though they were a huge pain to install but I think that would have been the case with any window. If anyone has more questions or wants more pictures just ask.

Staar
Modern Master

Postby Staar » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:12 am

why not put a wood veneer over the vinyl part?

dalangdon
Modern Socialite

Postby dalangdon » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:21 pm

tg
Modern Fan

Postby tg » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:06 pm

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:15 pm

My experience helping a friend look into replacement windows was the replacement companies want exorbitant profits. We were quoted as much as $1200 a window for units that cost $450. full retail. I'm talking about a traditional house with double hung windows. It would take maybe 2 hours at the most to install. Now I have nothing against making money(I know I like it) But greedy is greedy. It always pays to shop around.

Stephen
Modern Guru

Window FAQ and Others

Postby Stephen » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:07 pm

I'm curious, has anyone gone the architectural / commercial glass route? It seems like that might be a cool way to get unique stuff in any configuration imaginable.

I'm thinking we might want to write up a little FAQ on different window options, pros and cons, regional variances, etc.
Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

tg
Modern Fan

Postby tg » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:20 pm

An FAQ would be great.

Just to help future search engine users, I went with the Pella Impervia line. They offer some styles that look good on modern homes--lots of sliders, picture, and a double hung with called the Contemporary Unit, which have unequal sash sizes (upper is 60%, lower is 40%). A casement window will be available in 2007. Color choices were good--white, tan, and brown, and you can paint them if the colors don't match. The finish is somewhat grainy looking and the framing doesn't have a lot of faux millwork that many of the vinyls did.

I went with the brown windows, 5 double hung contemporary and 1 slider. No internal grilles, Low E/Ar gas glass. Can't wait for them to be installed and to be rid of my drafty old wooden ones.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”