A.Quincy Jones House

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Bear
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

A.Quincy Jones House

Postby Bear » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:16 pm

Bear

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:28 pm

Try and track down a copy of ARCHITECTURAL DIGEST for May 2005. It featured this house, now owned by David Bohnett -- philanthropist, and founder of the GeoCities Web site.

Many US libraries subscribe to this and hold back copies.

Also, try a web search with "gary cooper google earth" as there are folks out there now listing celebrity and/or architectural home links for Google Earth.[/url]

Bear
Modern Fan

Postby Bear » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:36 pm

Hi Scowsa,
Thanks for the reply. I will try what you recommended. Would you know any libraries in Los Angeles area. I generally stay Dowtown when in LAX
Bear

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:41 pm

Bear
Modern Fan

Postby Bear » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:47 pm

Thanks, You are making it to easy.
Bear

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:34 pm

The Gary Cooper house was also feature on an episode of PBS' This Old House series when they were doing the modern house in the Boston area (maybe Cambridge). It was a nice little 5 minute segment.
"Better Living Through Modernism"

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:06 am

200 Baroda Drive, Los Angeles, CA

2nd house up from Sunset Blvd.

It's a great house

Tony
Tony Merchell

Architectural Photographer
www.glassandsteel.com

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:58 am

And nicely restored by architect Mark Rios. Go to his website . HIs site is rather hard to navigate, but find residential projects and click on Baroda house.

Tony
Tony Merchell

www.glassandsteel.com

Bear
Modern Fan

Postby Bear » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:29 pm

Thanks to all for all information. I am about to start our own house and looking at many modern houses for ideas. I also like the Barcelona House with the floating ceiling and walls for support.
When I am next in Lax I will be driving around looking at the many buildings you have. It would be great to look at floor plans of the Gary Cooper house. Do you think they would be on file somewhere?
Thanks Again
Shane
Bear

Bear
Modern Fan

Postby Bear » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:51 pm

I have had a look at the Rois site thanks, beautiful home. I have just seen the episode of this old house this is what sent me on my mission to find out more, I saw it on cable late one night. You have all been very helpful. The time change to down under is a bit of a drag but its great to wake up ang get all this wonderful info while having a cup of tea. We have quiet big modern theme here in Sydney. There are a lot of great buildings and restorations as well. As for interiors and furniture there are to many to mention.
Shane
Bear

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:29 pm

Tony Merchell

www.glassandsteel.com

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:56 pm

Last edited by moderns-r-us on Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Better Living Through Modernism"

Bear
Modern Fan

Postby Bear » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:02 pm

Tony,

Thanks for info on plans of the house. I will visit the library when next in Lax.
Shane
Bear

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:35 am

Mr. Bohnett hosted the 2005 Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee holiday party.
http://modcom.org/

http://www.barodawall.com/

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:38 am

Here is the original A.Q. Jones rendering

It was included in the UCLA exhibit "The Other Hollywood: Modernist Architecture and the Los Angeles Film Community"

Curated by Thomas S. Hines
Last edited by nichols on Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bear
Modern Fan

Postby Bear » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:26 pm

Nichols,
The pictures are great, I will be trying to get the copy of that particular digest. It could take me a while !!!!!!!!!!
Shane
Bear

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”