Save the Leisure World Globe

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Save the Leisure World Globe

Postby nichols » Mon May 14, 2007 12:58 pm

THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

Friday, May 11, 2007
Residents join together to save landmark globe
Rally being considered for Monday
BY CHERYL WALKER
(flickr)
Laguna Woods Village resident Charlene Sydow is spearheading a grassroots campaign to save the community's landmark globe from demolition next week.
"I know we've got to move quickly, this is happening so fast!" said Sydow.
Members of the "Save the Globe" group have lobbied board members to assist in asking Heidi Cortese to put a stay on the May 16 deadline for razing the globe and suggest terms she'd consider fair to allow the unique structure to remain intact.
The razing is part of lawsuit settlement between RRLH, Inc. of Newport Beach which prevailed in a trademark infringement suit against the Village's Golden Rain Foundation and its managing agent.
RRLH principal Heidi Cortese has contended the globe is one of the Leisure World marks owned by her late developer father Ross Cortese who developed Leisure World, the Village's former name...

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/ne ... 692132.php

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon May 14, 2007 1:18 pm

Here's the (unafffected) Seal Beach leisure World globe

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

I dunno

Postby modfan » Mon May 14, 2007 8:06 pm

legal intracacies but how is this er 'copywrited/tradmarked' a globe is on many things, why isn't she having the Unisphere torn down from the remains of the 64 Worlds Fair or removing the globe logo from Global Van Lines trucks. I dunno sounds a little selfish to me.
Hope the preservation effort is successful.

khummer
Modern Master

globe

Postby khummer » Mon May 14, 2007 8:57 pm

Maybe that minister in Dallas, TX could use it outside his church. He has the replica in the background when he is on tv. (:

CapitalMod
Modern Master

Postby CapitalMod » Tue May 15, 2007 1:09 pm

There is an identical one at the Leisure World in Maryland.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue May 15, 2007 2:44 pm

daybreaker
Modern Socialite

Another Globe

Postby daybreaker » Wed May 16, 2007 12:27 am

CapitalMod
Modern Master

Postby CapitalMod » Wed May 16, 2007 10:57 am

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu May 17, 2007 9:53 am

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Thu May 17, 2007 4:39 pm

:rage:

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Fri May 18, 2007 8:48 am

So the daughter of the guy who put the globe there in the first place took it down because the community changed its name?

That's just about the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Way to go, Heidi. Bravo.
Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Sat May 19, 2007 9:52 pm

No, the daughter of the guy that put it up asked for royalties to use the name, the management declined and decided they would rather change the name and junk the globe.

Perks

Postby Perks » Sun May 20, 2007 9:18 am

Ah, guess I misunderstood from the article. :oops:

Nonetheless, in that case, I still reiterate my second sentence in my previous post. :roll:
Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”