restore or replace exterior lights?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

restore or replace exterior lights?

Postby rockland » Thu May 24, 2007 10:03 am

i really like our exterior lights, but original and 45 yrs old. the perforated
one is in ok shape, but the aluminum part is showing a bit of age.
(the robin part of the photo was for the original previous owners to
show that she is still ok. took out the bulb, but still seems like a fire
hazard.)
that one may clean up, but the bullets, like the one in the background,
is about the color of dirt. i realize aluminum has a life span (it pits) but is
their a way to spruce them up until we find a new group? (we need 6! $$)
also will trim, pack out, the cone ones so they hang a perfect vertical.
....they all work, it's a miracle.

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Thu May 24, 2007 10:42 am

Don't get rid of that perforated light! Its fantastic...and designed by Gino Sarfatti for lightolier.

In case you are interested, there is a pair up on ebay right now. They were purchased by the seller a couple of weeks ago on ebay for about $250 (I seem to recall) and have now been relisted....so the reserve is like to be atleast 2X that much.

The seller of the ones above, also purchased and is re-selling these

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Thu May 24, 2007 11:04 am

googieagog
Modern Master

Postby googieagog » Fri May 25, 2007 6:20 am

Try Met-All Aluminum polish. If that doesn't work, consider taking them apart & spray painting the aluminum parts with aluminum paint. It looks pretty good and it's a lot cheaper than replacing them. While you've got them apart, replace the sockets & wiring.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri May 25, 2007 5:53 pm

Sounds like good advice. If the nuts and bolts holding the parts together are too rusted to come apart, then leaving it intact and cleaning/painting is in order, with inspection of the socket and wiring to see if it is sound. After assuring that the power is off, clean out the socket and make sure the little prong at the center is pulled up a bit to contact the base of the bulb. Make sure the wires are properly covered by jackets that are not brittle or breaking apart. Blow out dust and dirt, and assure that the fixture is securely mounted to the building.

In general, when trying to change the surface of metal or wood without doing unnecessary damage, start with the finer abrasives and see what the effect is. If not sufficiently agressive, then move in the direction of coarser grits. Steel wool and Scotchbrite both come in various textures, as does sandpaper.

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

synthetic space
Modern Master

Postby synthetic space » Sat May 26, 2007 5:52 am

These are great lighting fixtures, but I am skeptical of them having been designed by Sarfatti. Where is this documented? As far as I know, Sarfatti only worked with Italian manufacturers, and certainly no American ones like Lightolier. Didn't Lightolier only employ American designers, such as Michael Lax, or more frequently an anonymous in-house design team?

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Sat May 26, 2007 6:46 am

Those are both great looking fixtures.

"Better Living Through Modernism"

momp57
Modern Socialite

Postby momp57 » Sat May 26, 2007 9:31 am

Exciting to see these lights on here! We have 4 of these on our house (3 in our entry courtyard and one out back), though they've been painted to match the trim by previous owners. I'd never seen them before, but stumbled across 4 more (still black and white) at a garage sale last weekend for $20.....and now here they are on Lottaliving.

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sat May 26, 2007 9:06 pm

my lightolier invoice, from '64, distrubitors. ny, chicago, dallas, LA. actual stores. and carrying for example, hansen lamps, 'colored ORREFORS crystal glass with diamond cut crystal liners, designed by Carl Fagerlund'.
(and i must say, sexier than the actual lamps... the type face for the advertisement).wait, what was the question?
anywho, my invoice is LIGHTOLIER, 32 lights of various designs. indoors and outdoors. for the entire house. lights stayed. but not the George
Nakashima custom sideboard (darn).

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”